Chapter 12

~Nathan~

I knock on Miss Marlee's door, and not even a minute later she's at the door. Her hair is pushed to one side, and looks like she's tired. She's wearing long fuzzy pants and an oversized t-shirt. An alternate to a nightgown I assume.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you," I say apologetically.

"No you're fine Your Highness," she says through a yawn. "Why are you up this late Prince Nathan?"

"Please just Nathan. I wasn't able to sleep so I was on my way to the kitchens when I overheard a conversation." I look around before continuing. "May I please come in and talk to you about it?"

"Yes of course."

Miss Marlee opens the door wider and I follow her inside. She turns on a light near the front door before walking back and closing two doors behind her. She motions for me to sit on the couch. I comply and she sits in the chair across from me.

I guess I've never been in here before so I didn't know what to expect. It was like a small house inside of the palace with a small kitchen and what must be three bedrooms.

"What do you need Nathan?" She asks.

"As I said I heard a conversation. One that I need to tell someone. I don't want to bother my dad with it now, not to mention I don't think he'd believe me if I told him what I heard."

"That bad?"

"Worse. I overheard a murder plot for Marissa Singer, and her mother."

Shock washes over Miss Marlee's face followed by anger. "Who was this?"

"It was my mother. Him and my brother were talking just at the end of this hallway. I hid and listened in. What disturbs me the most is that I don't even think that's my real brother." Marlee sighs. A deep and heavy sigh. "I don't know what to do." I throw my head into my hands.

I hear Marlee move and sit next to me. She begins to rub my back. "It'll be okay. I think what you need to do is tell your father first thing tomorrow. Tell him what you heard and saw. He'll believe you."

I pull me head from my hands. "What about Marissa? I don't want to eliminate her, but what if that's the only way to protect her?"

"I don't know there. You can tell her if you want. I would suggest to your father having a guard outside of her room. I don't know. I'm not an expert in the field."

"What would you do if it was your daughter in this situation?"

I knew about their oldest Kile. We were good friends until he left for school. Which meant I knew about their youngest daughter Josie. "I would have a guard outside her door, and one patrolling the gardens. That is where her room is right?"

"Yes."

"During attacks I would make sure that there is a guard with her so that she can get to the safe room safely." I nod my head. "Just tell your father. Look at security footage."

I stand to leave. I think I had the answers I was looking for.

"Thank you for talking to me. I'm sorry again for waking you," I say as I make my way to the door.

"Don't worry about it. I'm glad you told me. I'll keep an eye on her too."

"Thank you."

She gives a small smile. "Get some rest. You need it."

I give a small smile back, and leave her little house. I make my way back down the dark hallway and into the main hall. Climbing the stairs to the third floor I make it to my room. Before opening the door I hear someone throwing up in the room next to mine. Alison must still be sick.

Opening the door I see my dark room. My sheets are still kicked over from when I was attempting sleep. This time it looks much more welcoming than earlier. I sit down on the bed and look at my wall.

Covering my wall are photos of my family, and other things around the palace, and places I've traveled. My father got me into photography since he did it a lot, and he still does. My favorite was of Alison. We were playing around in the gardens one day, and her hair fell completely out. She had a small leaf of flowers in her hair. She was hiding from me and my camera behind a tree when she peaked out I took the photo.

I smiled at the memories we had. Then Ben changed, and the palace hasn't been as welcoming as it once was.

Looking at my desk I see some sheets of blank papers, and a note. I make my way over to the desk and sit down. I know what I need to do. I need to talk to Marissa, but in private. Taking the note I begin to write a note to her. I'll tell my butler to deliver it to Marissa after she leaves for breakfast in the morning. At least I assume she's going back to breakfast in the morning. I won't know because I'll need to talk to my father without my mother, and without anyone else knowing.

I told the finished note and write Marissa on it. I set it on my bedside table before climbing into bed. Only this time I'm not met with the unending night.