Chapter 31

~Nathan~

Everything was in place. Thanks to my father I'm able to pick the One tonight. I already know who it is. As I make some last minute changes in the ball room I start to hear giggling, and the swoosh of fabric. I go to the door, and peek out. Looking around the corner I spot Marissa and her three maids. She turns quickly, and looks at me.

"Nathan," she says with a giggle.

I smile. "I thought you were supposed to be in your room all day?" I question.

"About that. My dress is ruined, and we're going to go fix it. Please don't tell Sylvia."

"Hm. I'll think about it."

Next thing I know she crashes her lips into mine. She pulls back quickly. "There. Now please don't tell her."

I give her a smile. "I won't. I promise."

She smiles, and rubs off following her maids down the hall. I smile, and turn back to the room. It's pretty much finished. I'll leave the rest for my mother to finish. It's about time for me to get ready. Heading up to my room, I begin to hear shouting. Listening closely I hear it's my parents.

"I don't care Maxon, you are going to do what your father tells you!" It was my mom.

"No! do you know how many years he's abused me! How many years he's beat me! How many times I've had to cover up marks! He's not going to control my life anymore!" That was my dad. I have never heard him raise his voice before. Especially at my mother.

"Maxon, you have no idea what life I had before this."

"Why was it better than this? If so you might as well go back to it!"

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying many things to you Kriss."

"So am I, and you're going to do it."

"No! If you have a problem with it, then you can leave."

"Fine then. How about I just leave the palace altogether?"

"Fine with me. Why don't you go back to the life you had before this since you loved so much."

"Fine. I'll take Alisa, Nathan and Ben with me."

"No you won't. Alisa is too weak to go anywhere, and is to remain here. Nathan has his Selection to finish, and he's the next king."

"And Ben?"

I hear my father sigh. "How long did you think you could hide this from me Kriss. You're leaving without the kids no matter what. I know you're a Southern Rebel. I know the Ben in the palace isn't ours. Our Ben, my Ben is locked away somewhere in a base. I also know you and whoever that other person is, have been trying to poison our daughter."

My mother's voice gets low. "You have no idea what you're talking about Maxon."

"Oh I think I do. You see I've been corresponding with a few friends. I think I know what's going on. I do not want to see you at the party tonight Kriss. You and whoever that other person is. I want all of your things out by morning. If you so much as show your face in or at the palace again I will see that you are arrested, and put away for a long time."

"You wouldn't."

"Stick around and find out."

There was a moment of silence. I took in all of the information. I knew some of it, but not all. I began to hear the door knob turn, and I ran. I quickly made my way to my room, and shut the door breathing hard. My butler looked at me.

"Is something wrong sir?" He asked.

I shake my head. "No. Nothing's wrong. I'm just excited for the party tonight, that's all."

The butler nods, and begins to help me get ready.