Chapter 3

~Nathan~

I sent the last girl back to her seat. I had already decided who I was going to keep, and who I was going to eliminate, but I'm going to give them a week before I made my decision.

I see Marissa sitting at a table with two girls. One I remembered and Charlotte. The other girl's name I couldn't remember, but it started with and L. Marissa was starting to grow on me. I liked her spirit, and attitude. She was the polar opposite from my mom who was calm, and quiet. Marissa was also funny, and fun to be around.

I stood up, and nodded at Silvia. She knew what it meant. I wanted to get into breakfast with my parents before the Selected get there.

"I want to thank you for your time. I will see you all in just a few minutes," I say.

I leave the room to join my family. Going into the room I find them all seated at the table waiting for me. I sit between my sister, and my father. Ben is looking down at my lap, and my parents are looking at me. My mom has a small smile on her face, and so does my father. Alison is practically jumping up and down.

"So, how was it?" my mother asks.

"It went good. I learned a lot more about some of the contestants," I say.

"That's it? Come on who's your favorite? You have to tell us something," Alison complains.

"I don't have to tell you anything," I say poking her nose. She jumps back and giggles. I laugh a little too.

The door opens and all of the Selected walk in. They all courtesy and walk to their seats. There was some space between the Selected, and us. That way there wouldn't be any fighting of who gets to sit next to the royal family. A good idea on my fathers part. Once they were all sitting servants brought us our breakfasts.

I remembered that there was an eight here. I remembered what she looked liked, and I watched as her eyes lit up as a plate of food was put in front of her. A life as an eight was a bad life, I knew that. As I watched I could tell that she was using every muscle in her body to not scarf it all down. I felt bad for her, and her life. She wasn't the one who chose her life.

We all begin to eat. The room goes quiet as we do. One of dad's advisers walks into the room. He bows, and walks up to my dad. He whispers something in a low voice. "Now?" My dad asks. The adviser nods his head. My dad stands straight up. "I'm sorry, but I have to take care of this. I'll see you later."

My dad and the adviser rush out of the room. Whatever happened must've been important. My dad has never left any meal for any reason ever. He's always held onto the thought of having a full meal as a family will bring us close together since we hardly see each other throughout the day. Now he was gone, and it didn't feel right.

Alison finished her breakfast, and she left. Then slowly the Selected began to leave one by one. Marissa and her two friends were the last to leave. Ben got up quietly and left. So now it was just my mother and I. We have never really seen eye to eye in the past. We just didn't get each other the way my dad and I get each other. It was a little uncomfortable.

"So what is the Selection like?" my mom asks.

"It's going good. I've started to have my favorites, but they're all really nice. I think it's going to be hard to choose a girl," I say.

"Well that's good. I know this will be fun for you."

"I hope so."

She reaches across the table, and grabs my hand. Her hand is cold, and small in my hand. She squeezes my hand, then stands up and leaves. I follow her out of the room. She goes back upstairs, probably to her room, and I go to my office. I know my father will have a little work for me to do. Then I would have to get to know the Selected more.

Once in my office I see a small stack of papers. On top of the stack was a small note. Get to know them more. You can't hide in your work forever. - Dad

I sigh. I know I can't hide from them forever. But I have some thinking to do before I start to go on dates with any of the Selected.

Marissa keeps coming into my mind. The way everyone reacted when I read her name. Did they know her?

I shake the feeling off. I move the note, and begin on the work. It should only take me a few minutes. Which it does. I sigh and put my pen down.

I see the note my dad gave me, and pick up the Selection papers. I decide to organize them for who I know I want to keep, and who I want to eliminate. The pile of eliminations is smaller than the keep pile. I know I'll have to find one. I plan to just that.

I take one of the names off of the elimination pile. I figure better at least get to know them in case I change my mind. The top name, Peyton Elena from Sota. She was a seven.

She was funny, and nice to be around. But she was loud, and a little annoying. I knew she wasn't for me. She was the first person I was going to meet. I don't think my mind will change, but it's worth a try.

I look over her paper. Aside from work, she had a part time job at a farm. She tended to the horses, and even liked to ride them. That's what I decide to do.

I step out of my office to go get Peyton for my first date of the Selection.