Derek; deadroses

don't forget to vote and leave a comment!
also, if you have any requests, message me!

***

I always imagined what it would be like to celebrate an anniversary with my significant other.
I imagined being woken up in bed, surprised with flowers and treats and breakfast.
I imagined being showered in kisses and being told just how much I actually meant to them.
And I imagined looking into the eyes of my significant other, knowing for sure that I would want to spend the rest of my life with them.

But that's not what happened at all.

I woke up late and in an empty bed. I got up, feeling slightly disappointed that Derek wasn't anywhere to be seen.

"Derek?" I called out for him, but there was no response. I made my way down the stairs, looking for him, but the loft was completely empty.

"You've got to be kidding me." I muttered to myself. Not only was I awoken by, uh, myself, but I was also all alone in this loft. On my 3 year anniversary.

I was busy filling a bowl with some cheap ass cereal, when the loft doors opened, creating a loud noise. I looked up immediately to see Derek entering, clothed in gym-wear, body dripping in sweat.

"Look who finally decided to get up." He said jokingly, a light chuckle slipping from his lips. I, on the other hand, couldn't even crack a smile. I felt angry. I wasn't in the mood to entertain him.

It didn't take long for him to notice that I was off. "Somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed." He walked towards the refrigerator and grabbed some water.

"Derek, do you know what today is?" I didn't even look at him.

"Uh, Tuesday?" He furrowed his eyebrows. He ain't wrong.

I turned to face him; waiting for him to say that he was joking- he must be.

"What?" I could tell that he was genuinely confused, which caused an ache in my chest.

"Happy anniversary Derek." I bluntly told him, abandoning my cereal and walking towards the staircase.

"Y/N wait-" He called after me. I stopped in my tracks and turned to face him. "You're upset? When have we ever made a big deal out of our anniversary?"

"Derek, we've been together for three years now. Three... After everything we have been through, we're still together, I thought it would at least be a little special for you." I told him truthfully.

He hesitated. "It is special! I just don't see why we have to make a big deal out of it," he shook his head, "it's pathetic." He muttered.

"Pathetic?" I scoffed. "No, no Derek. You're pathetic." I took a few steps in his direction. "And I'm an idiot for actually thinking you were the relationship kind of guy."

He threw his head back laughing. "I'm not the relationship kind of guy? Y/N I've been in a relationship with you for three years!"

"Well, Derek, this never really felt like a relationship. Let's be honest." I breathed out. This was the first time I'd ever said something like this and it hurt me to do it.

"What the hell does that mean?" He crossed his arms over his chest.

"Do you love me, Derek?" I asked him, ignoring his question.

"Yes, yes I do." He took a few steps closer to me, placing his hands on my arms.

"Then why does it not feel like you do? And I'm not just talking about today, I don't even care anymore, it's always been like this." He remained silent for a few moments.

"I didn't know you felt this way." He lowered his hands.

I moved backwards. "You know what? I'm sorry Derek, I actually just need some time to think."

"Are you serious?" He asked, his voice laced with annoyance.

"Derek, please?" I needed time and I didn't appreciate him being so rude about it.

"Okay. I'm sorry."

Derek stayed downstairs as I went up to our shared bedroom to collect some of my things. When I came back down, Derek was seated on the sofa with his head in his hands. He looked up as soon as I approached him.

He stood up. "I'm sorry." He said. "Take all the time that you need... I'm sorry that I haven't been the best boyfriend, or even a good boyfriend for that matter. I'm sorry... I'm so sorry."
I didn't know what else to say to him, so I gave him a sad smile and one last hug before leaving.

***

how old are you guys? i'm turning 17 this month (: