Theo; Rescue

requested imagine by jessxhale, thank you for requesting!

don't forget to vote and leave a comment :)

***

Jessica's POV

I slam the door shut after storming out of the loft; Derek's angry voice can still be heard from the other side. But I ignore him.

"Jessica! Come back in here right now!" He yells. When I was younger, I would've listened to him; I wouldn't hesitate to obey him, but I am older now, and I can make my own decisions.

Siblings always fight, I know this, but lately Derek and I seem to constantly be yelling in each other's faces. It never ends. I can tell that Derek is as fed up as I am, seeing that he doesn't even bother coming out to yank me back inside and reprimand me for not listening to him the first time. So I leave.

Right as I step out of the building and into the dark, my cell phone vibrates. I bury my hand inside my jean pocket to retrieve it. The screen is lit up, displaying a text message from Theo.

You busy? I wanna come over.

Absentmindedly, I open the text message, but don't reply. I place the phone back into my pocket. I'm walking along the sidewalk, when the phone starts to ring. I quickly take it out again and answer the call.

"You're just gonna leave me on read?" Theo says, and I can imagine him dramatically placing his hand over his chest in offense.

I let out a deep sigh, "I'm sorry, I wasn't really thinking straight. I'm not home right now, I-" He cuts me off before I can say anything else.

"Where are you? Why aren't you home? It's almost 2am Jessica." His voice is laced with concern. I instantly regret telling him.

"I'm just walking, I don't know where exactly, but I just don't want to be at home right now, okay? I want to be alone, I'm sorry but I really don't want to speak right now." I tell him, my words sounding harsher than I intended them to be. He stays quiet for a moment.

"Listen Jessica, I don't like the thought of you walking around alone this late. Let me pick you up, alright?" He suggests, and I shake my head as if he can see.

"I'm sorry Theo. I just want to be alone for now. Don't worry, I can defend myself. You know that." Leaving no chance for him to say anything, I end the call.

I continue walking, picking up my pace to get further away from home and of course, Derek. My feet lead me deeper and deeper into the dark and mist. I walk until I longer see streetlights or houses. I walk until I finally feel alone. My phone doesn't stop vibrating. I appreciate how much Theo cares about me and my safety, but he needs to remember that I am not as helpless as I look. I continue walking.

I smile when I finally look up from my sneakers. I had made it to my destination. The forest is always most beautiful during the night. The moonlight sifting through the tall trees creates a sublime picture. I lean against one of the nearby trees.

I am only granted a few moments of solitude when I realize that I'm not alone here. I look around, trying to find the source of the sound I had just heard. My first thought is that Theo had followed me in here, but that couldn't be, because my phone still is still vibrating with his incoming text messages.

"Derek?" I call out the name of the only other person it could be. "This isn't funny. Actually, it's getting quite annoying now." But there is nothing but silence around me.

I remain still, focusing all my attention on my surroundings. My brain processes every detail around me. I hear the sound again. It's footsteps, I can tell.