38

Mavis's POV

My heart beat quickened as we walked closer and closer to the backyard door, the music getting louder and louder.

Grayson opened the squeaky wooden door that led to the backyard catching almost everyone's attention.

"Mavis! You made it" Rudy set his cup down walking over to me giving me a tight hug. "C'mon, I'll introduce you to everyone"

He walked us over to a pregnant woman who was sitting in a chair, enjoying some ribs.

"Rebecca!" He called out making her put the ribs down, wiping her mouth then hands so she could shake my hands.

"Mavis this is my fiancé Rebecca, Rebecca this is my sister Mavis and her boyfriend Grayson" he smiled as we shook hands.

"It's very nice to meet you" she smiled.

Two boys ran past us almost knocking Rebecca down. Rudy grabbed them by their shoulders making them stop.

"Mavis these are the twins, Alex" he pointed to the one on the right. "And Anthony" he pointed to the one on the left.

"Guys this is your older cousin Mavis" the boys smiled up at me waving.

"Are you sure your Rudy's sister cause you're pretty and he's...well...let's just say Becca can do sooo much better" Alex nodded making us all except Rudy laugh.

"Yeah, yeah, where's Abuela?" He scoffed.

"She's inside finessing people in bingo" Anthony pointed inside the house before he ran off along with his brother.

"That sounds like her" Rudy chuckled before leading us inside.

"Abuela look who's here!" Rudy shouted over the loud music.

An older woman who I assume is Abuela looked up her eyes widening once she saw me.

"Turn that shit down!" She yelled before walking over to me hugging me tightly. "Oh my goodness you looked almost exactly like your mother!"

"What's all the commotion?" Another lady entered the room wiping her hands on her apron.

"Look who's here!" Abuela pointed at me. The lady squealed before pulling me into a hug.

"Rob! Rob! She's here!" She yelled. I felt my palms getting sweaty as my heart rate accelerated. So many people were focused on me making me nervous. Someone squeezed my hand making me look up to find Grayson who was giving me a reassuring smile which calmed me down almost immediately.

"What! What!" A man walked down the stairs in annoyance.

"She's here!" The lady squealed. "You look just like your mother, here sit. I'll make you a plate" she practically shoved me into a chair.

"Who's the hot piece of ass?" Abuela asked loudly making Grayson blush.

"That's her boyfriend, Abuela. As well as a minor" Rudy sighed.

"Well I won't tell if you don't" she winked at Grayson making me laugh. Grayson sat next to me as everyone but the lady, well tia(aunt) Amelia, sat down around the table to eat too.

She later returned with a pot before sitting down next to tio( uncle) rob. Everyone then held hands, which confused me at first but I then caught on when everyone looked down closing their eyes. Grayson and I quickly followed.

"Thank you lord for this amazing food and for family" Rudy said quickly.

"Rudy!" Tia Amelia scolded him making the twins giggle.

"And thank you for bringing Mavis back to us" he said even quicker.

"Rudy!" Amelia said again.

"Amen?" He said unsurely making everyone but Amelia laugh. Everyone dug into the food piling their plates as I watched.

"Better hurry before it's all gone" Becca laughed I gave her a small smile before looking at Grayson who was already eating. He looked up taking my plate piling it as well.

I took a spoon full of rice almost moaning at the taste. This was so good! I then tried everything else liking every new item better than the last. I probably looked like a slob right now but I didn't care besides these guys didn't care either even Abuela was eating her ribs with her hands.

~~

Grayson's POV

6:37 p.m.

After stuffing our facing with heavenly food we all moved back to the backyard.

I sat next to mavis as she listened to all the stories about her mother they had to tell giving her hand reassuring squeeze from time to time to keep her calm.

"I'm going to go get some juice for us, Okay?" I whispered in her ear. She nodded before I left.

I walked over to the cooler which was where rob and Rudy were hanging out drinking beers.

"It's Grayson right?" Rob asked. Everyone here beside the twins, Becca, and Rudy had a thick Spanish accent.

"Yeah" I chuckled slightly as I grabbed two caprisuns.

"How long have you two been dating?" Ruby asked as he sipped his beer.

"About a month now but we've known each other for longer" I smiled happily.

"Wow you guys are close" Rudy nodded.

"What's with the hands squeezing?" Rob asked. I was hesitant to tell them because I didn't know if Mavis wants them knowing about her shyness.

"She just gets nervous from time to time, so squeeze her hand to reassure her that I'm here and everything's okay" I gazed at her beautiful face as I talked.

"Wow, that's love" Rob chuckled making me blush. I do love her, a lot.

Jeff's POV

10:49

"4! 5! 6!" The crowed counted as I did the keg stand. I've been here for about four hours and I think it's safe to say I'm completely wasted.

"10! 11! 12!" The crowd went wild when I stood up straight everyone shouted my name some people messed with my hair and some girls even kissed my cheek. But after a few seconds they all went back to partying and once again I felt alone, I was alone.

No one here cares about anybody but themselves, this place is full of people who just want distractions from their boring lives.

I stumbled into the kitchen grabbing a bottle of vodka before finding my way outside. I sat on the front stairs of the house as I chugged the alcohol.

I should've broken up with Olivia as soon as I realized I liked Rachelle. I didn't realize it up until a few weeks ago, every time I'm with her I just forget about everything else. She's the only other person I can actually talk to, other than Mavis, that actually listens and tries to understand me.

I pulled out my phone trying to dial her number but my vision was blurry from the alcohol.

"Are you Jeff?" A deep voice asked.

"Uhm, Yeah" I looked up seeing a man dressed all in black there were two more boys dressed in different clothes. I couldn't make out their faces so I didn't know who they were.

The first one punched me in the face knocking me down onto my stomach. I tried sitting up groaning, but the bottle of vodka I was drinking was smashed on my head.

"Fuck!" I hissed as I cut my hand trying to get up. I couldn't fight back, I was too disoriented.

"Dylan says hi by the way" I heard before I felt a bunch of punches and kicks coming from every direction. All I could do was groan and take the blows.