40

Mavis POV

I almost sobbed at the sight in front of me. Jeff was all beat up, he had bruises and cuts all over his face and he looked so tired and pale.

"Hey, May" he smile at me. "How was the barbecue? Did you bring me a burger?"

"How can you think about food right now, when your in the hospital" I sat in the chair next to his bed taking his hand. His thumb repeatedly ran over my knuckles to soothe me.

"Oh, it's nothing to serious. Few cuts and bruises, as well as a broken rib. So, can't play football for the next two months" he gave me a small smile.

"Who did this to you?" My voice cracked a little.

"I-.....I don't remember" he hesitated, glancing at his mom as he spoke.

"Mary, could you give Jeff and I a minute, please?" I asked sweetly.

"Sure, I'll go get myself some coffee" she nodded before leaving.

"Ok, now the truth" I turned back to him.

"If I tell you, you can't make a big deal about it" he sighed.

"I won't" I partly lied.

"Promise?" He asked.

"I promise" I confirmed.

"No, super promise" super promise is something we made up in the fourth grade, it's silly I know, but it means a lot to us.

"Super promise" I gave him a small smile.

"I don't know who exactly jumped me, it was three random guys. But one of them said 'Dylan says hi'" his jaw clenched as he talked. Oh my god, it's all my fault. If I had just told Jeff what he said a few days ago Jeff would've been ready or I could've reported Dylan; I could've done something.

"That bitch didn't even have the balls to fight me himself, had to send three people in his place" he balled his fist. "And I was wasted so I couldn't even fight back or run"

"You were drunk!?" I gasped.

"May - ."

"Jeff you and Mary could get in a lot of trouble for that!" I scolded him. "You told me you wouldn't drink like that anymore"

"Yeah, well, I had a lot going on" he forced a chuckle as he fiddled with the hospital blanket.

"I'm so sorry" my eyes watered as I looked down at my lap.

"Hey, what are you sorry for?" He placed a hand under my chin making me look up at him.

"I knew I should've told you, but I didn't want pile more problems on you" I let a tear fall but he quickly wiped it. "Dylan told me to tell you he'd be coming for you, but I thought it was an empty threat"

"May, it's okay" he chuckled lightly. "You didn't know he'd send three fucking dick heads to jump me. Dylan's a pussy so you were right on assuming he was lying"

I was going to say something but the door opened revealing that girl Cassie.

"Hey, sorry I hope I'm not intruding" she stepped into the room giving me a full view of her. She looked pregnant but I didn't want to say anything.

"Is she pregnant or fat?" I quietly asked Jeff.

"Uh, pregnant and it's mine" he sighed fiddling with my hand.

"You're joking" I gaped at him.

"No, I fucked up may, I'm sorry" he looked up at me worriedly probably scared of what I was going to say.

"N-no don't be" I stared at Cassie's stomach. There couldn't actually be a baby in there, and whose to say it's Jeff's. I mean, Cassie does get around. "Cassie could you give us a sec"

She nodded before slipping out again.

"How do you even know it's yours?" I almost immediately rushed out.

"I don't, but we're going to get a paternity test" he ran a hand through his messy hair.

"Does Mary know?" I was so shook and confused right. How could this boy be having a kid?

"Yeah, she's-.....she's pretty disappointed in me and kinda the reason we're going to take a test to see if it's mine or not" he shrugged.

"So, what about you and Olivia?" I asked in a small voice.

"I broke up with her" he answered bluntly.

"Jeff I didn't mean-."

"No, you were right. The lies were going to catch up to me sooner or later so why not do it now before we were both in way to deep" he forced a smile. I was gone for a day and almost everything fell apart for him. I mshould've been there for him, I shouldn't of made him confess to Olivia so soon. Jesus, what kind of friend am I?

"I shouldn't of pushed you to do it" o gave him an apologetic look.

"May" he grabbed my hand with a sigh. "It was a matter of time until she found out"

"Hey" Mary came in with a cup of coffee. She came over to us sitting in the chair on the opposite side of Jeff.

"So are you guys going to tell me the reason for Jeff's beating?" She asked sipping her coffee.

Should I tell her? She can press charges and Dylan will get what he deserves. But Dylan didn't do it three random guys did.

"Mom, I told you already I was drunk my vision was blurry; they were dressed in black. I couldn't see them" Jeff lied, well, it's kinda true.

"They just jumped you? Without saying anything?" Mary questioned.

I looked up at Jeff, he is a great liar.

"No, and if they did I barely remember" he shrugged.

"Mavis could you go get Jeff some ice chips" Mary asked not taking her intense glare off of Jeff. I nodded getting up, oh boy, he's in big trouble.

I stepped out of the room before making my way to where Grayson was. He's been to patient with everything lately, first he takes a two hour trip to spend a whole night with some crazy Puerto Rican's he's never met. And now he's waiting in a hospital when he could be home relaxing.

He got up worriedly once he saw me. I wrapped my arms around him burying my face in his chest, he smells amazing. He hugged me back tightly.

"Is everything okay?" He asked as we swayed back and fourth.

"Yeah, a broken rib, bruises, some scratches" I listed off Jeff's injuries.

"I'm gonna find the assholes who did this" he pulled away a little looking down at me.

"I love you" I mumbled softly. He frozen then smiled widely.

"And I you, love"