57

Mavis's POV

After he left me on the side walk I went straight home hoping he was there but he wasn't.

I don't know what to say or think about what he said to me, like yeah I love him but not in that way.

Grayson told me about this too and I didn't believe. I feel guilty because now that I think about it I was kinda flirty with Jeff and that's not fair to both of them.

I looked at the cable box for the time: 2:43 a.m.

And he's still not home, I picked up my phone and called him for the umpteenth time only for him to let it go to voicemail again.

"Jeff please call me back you're worrying me....just come home please" I sighed before hanging up.

I was contemplating wether or not to let Grayson know about this, no I should just wait till I straighten this out.

My phone rung and I quickly grabbed it, sigh, unknown number. I laid on the couch covering myself with a blanket to wait for Jeff but soon sleep took over me.

***

I jumped up when my phone rung again I looked at the time again and it read: 4:02 a.m. I looked at the caller ID and Becky's name flashed across the screen.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Mavis, Hey, Uhm Jeff's here.....really drunk" she whispered.

"I'm on my way" I sighed before getting up.

*

"Jeff?" I said quietly as I entered Becky's bathroom. He was sitting next to the toilet his head in his hands.

"Jeff?" I called out again sitting in front of him gently grabbing his hands pulling them away from his face, gasping when I saw his black eye. "How did this happen?"

He didn't respond he just kept his gaze on the carpet. I sighed "Come on let's go"

I stood up bringing him with me placing his arm over my shoulders to we wouldn't stumble, I was tiny compared to him so hopefully he didn't fall.

I quietly thanked Becky before making my way to the elevator. I leaned him against the wall to rest a second.

"Why are you helping me?" His voice was raspy and quiet.

"Because you're my b-."

"Don't say it" he chuckled humorlessly. "I'm so fücking tired of you calling me that because I want to be so much more than just your fücking confidant"

The elevator dinged signaling that we hand reached the ground floor. I walked us outside sitting him on a step to order the Uber.

After that I sat next to him keeping a small distance. I don't want to anger him anymore than he probably is. I looked down at my shoes wanting the Uber to get here now, this silence was killing me.

He scoffed. "I shouldn't of said anything"

"What makes you say that?" I looked up at him to see that he had been staring at me.

"Cause now it'll never be the same, it'll always be awkward because you'll never stop loving Grayson and I'll never stop loving you. And now we're stuck in an apartment together for four more years" he looked all over my face before making eye contact with me. "But don't feel bad I've become a master at swallowing my feelings"

"Je-."

"Uber's here, better get going" he got up stumbling over to the black car.

*

Tuesday, 8:33 a.m.

I spit out my mouth wash, fixing my hair a little in the mirror, making sure the bags under my eyes were concealed by makeup.

I walked down the hall to Jeff's room opening the door to reveal a knocked out Jeff, I felt so bad. I had no idea he felt that way about me but when I actually think about it, it makes sense.

All those kisses close to my mouth, the times he stared at my chest when I wasn't wearing a bra, the way he reacts when other men flirt with me.....I always thought he was just being over protective. Turns out he's just been suffering this whole time.

*

After a long day of college I collapsed on my bed trying to block out all the assignments that were due soon.

I know what's going to take my mind off of it. I sat up on my bed fixing my hair before FaceTiming Grayson.

It rung for a few short seconds before he picked up.

"Hey g-."

"Mavis I'm sorry but I'm really busy right now can I call you later?" He looked frustrated.

"U-Uhm ok....love you" He hung up without even saying it back which stung a little. But I'm sure he's just busy with work so it's fine.

I heard the front door open and closed so I jumped up making my way towards the kitchen.

"H-Hey Jeff" I smiled at him. He just walked past me into his room slamming the door shut.

Guess I'll just go study.

Jeff's POV

I walked passed her into my room slamming the door shut, I wasn't mad at her I was mad at myself.

For just blurting shit out like that, I should've kept my mouth shut and things wouldn't be so weird. Even if I go out there and act friendly it won't ever be the same again and that's exactly what I was afraid of.

My phone rung and I sighed thinking it was Becky but it turned out to be my mom.

"Forgot about your family, huh?" She immediately responded.

"No" I chuckled. "No, ma, it's Uhm just been a little stressful"

"Well that's college" she sighed.

"No it's not college" I ran a hand through my hair.

"Oh?"

"I-......I told her how I feel" I looked down at my feet.

"How did she take it?" Her tone was soft.

"We haven't talked about it.......it doesn't matter anyway she's with Grayson"

"Do you really think her and Grayson are going to last" she chuckled. "They live miles away from each other, J, long distance relationships never last. You just be patient your time will come"