(O/S) Maki x Kaito

AU where Kaito and Maki have been dating in a no killing AU and soon Kaito receives a letter where he's been accepted into a programme to be sent off to space. Angst.
Fic title: Astronomically Small Chances

Maki's POV

"Maki! Maki! Wake up!"
"Ugh..." I rubbed my dull red eyes. I looked at the direction the voice was coming from, and it was right beside my bed.
"K-Kaito?!"
The wannabe astronaut was grinny madly, and that's when I noticed my window was open.
I was on the third floor of an apartment block.
"Wait..." I let my thoughts jumble together like a self-aware jigsaw puzzle. "Did you climb—?"
"Yes, but that doesn't matter right now! Look! Look! Look at how lucky I got! The chances to get in were astronomically low. Look! Look!"
I rolled my eyes, grabbing a piece of paper which Kaito was eagerly holding out for me to grab.
I scanned the lines.

Kaito Momota,
Thank you for enrolling in our space exploration program, and we are delighted to tell you that you passed each examination with flying colours. We would like to start by congratulating you and welcoming you to our young adult team. Your first expedition will be in about six months.

Not even bothering the finish the letter, I simpered up at Kaito with watery eyes.
"C'mon, Maki, if you cry I'll cry too—"
I hugged him and quietly whimpered behind his back.
It was the best night ever.

Timeskipppp

When Kaito was in space, I was never truly sure what to do to keep myself from worrying. I often called some of the girls from my class around to watch a movie, or distracted myself with training. On one particular day, I was pacing around and collecting our thoughts.
However, my mind always drifted back to 'what if'.
What if Kaito died?
What if he gets lost and suffocates?
What if this is all a trap set up by the government to take away young unsuspecting teenagers and kill them?!
I was on the verge of panicking when a letter slipped through my door.
Carefully, I picked it up from the ground and opened it.
I didn't scan over the words this time- I read every little detail over and over again.

Dear sir/madam,
We regret to inform you that your relative, Kaito Momota, may not return home. Kaito's ship has lost connection with all of our connectivity resources, so we are unable to find him. We will attempt to get in touch if we manage to get him home safely.
Yours faithfully,
The Young Adult Space Expedition Program (YASEP).

No.
No no no.
My knees buckled from underneath me and I fell to my knees, a sobbing weeping mess.
"K-K-Kaito...!" I cried, my hands over my closed eyes.
I can't remember how long I cried for. All I know is that when Kaede walked through my front door to grab her jacket which she left at my place - at what I wished was both mine and Kaito's place - she crouched down to my level in attempts to comfort me.
"Maki! Maki, what's wrong?"
She spoke gently, with concern coating her voice, so I passed her the letter. Her eyes scanned over the lines, muttering the words out.
Her eyes widened when she finished the note and hugged me, patting my hair.
"He might still be alive." Was all she managed to say.
"Get out!"
She shot me a confused look.
"Get out of our house!"
"'Our'?" She echoed. "You live alone, right?"
I stood up briskly, viciously wiping away my tears and grabbed her jacket from off the couch. I threw it at her, which she caught and brought the bundle of clothing up to her chest, and screamed at her to leave.
She nodded calmly and made her way out.
Once I'd started screaming, I couldn't stop. My mouth was a tumbling waterfall of swearing and yelling and sobbing uncontrollably.
"WHY KAITO?! DAMN IT!"
Eventually, I ran out of tears to cry. My throat was dry, like I'd just swallowed a cupful of sand or salt.
I went to bed early, at about five pm, and lay awake all night. I didn't look out the window like I normally did. Space was stretched out there, like a soft blanket of memories, and I didn't need to think of Kaito.
Weeks flew by like minutes. I didn't enjoy anything, I just got through my day.
Everything was a blur, mostly a blur of tears when I was alone and bitter comments when I was in public.
One evening, I received a knock on the door. I was in the middle of watching a space documentary, and all of my friends knew not to disrupt me while I was alone.
"Go away." I gruffly huffed, stomping over to the door.
"C'mon, Maki-Roll, don't be like that...!"
My heart stopped.
Then started again.
It continued in a rhythmic pattern.
Thump.
Pause.
Thump.
Pause.
Thump.
Kaito's voice.
I flung open the door to see him. He was still wearing a puffy white space suit. He was grinning down with warm purple eyes.
I threw my arms around him and cried. I cried so much.
He hugged me back, and smiled.
"They found me."
"I love you. I love you so much."

Word count - 896.