(O/S) Rantaro x Reader

Writing this to procrastinate against writing one of my original stories mwahaha enjoy 🖤
T/Ws: starts out happy enough but gets kinda dark. Not full blown angst but sad stuff happens and if you don't like that yeah sorry—
Fic title: Rainy Days

Y/N's POV

I stared out of the window into the bleakness of outside. This rainy day was spoiling what could have been a nice day out for myself and Rantaro, my boyfriend.
"It's raining." I commented for the fifth time, tracing shapes and stars onto the condensation on the window.
Amami was sat next to me on the couch, and he gently pulled my hand away from the cold glass. "Kirumi'll kill you if you get fingerprints on the glass."
"Yeah, I know, but I am so bored right now."
"We could watch a movie?"
"Nah... I don't feel like it, y'know?"
Amami chuckled as I got up, walking into the kitchen. He followed me, taking a seat next to me when I sat down at the breakfast bar and started tracing shapes onto the marble countertop.
Rantaro gave me a long focussed look, before taking my hand.
"We're going on a walk. Through the woods."
"What? Amami, it's raining."
He shrugged. "We'll survive."
And that's how we got ourselves into this mess.

Rantaro's POV

After changing into warmer clothes and slipping on our boots we marched out into the sheets of rain that fell heavily against the streets. A large forest wasn't too far from our apartment, so I took their hand and we walked calmly, swinging our arms to the rhythm of the lashing rain.
Y/N looked up to the sky. It was grey and uneven, like the ocean, and they smiled ever so slightly.
When we reached the entrance of the forest, I passed them my backpack. "You're carrying this now."
"Rantaro!" They said, trembling under the weight of my enormous backpack (they by no means weak, either - that's how heavy my bag was).
"Joking," I smirked, taking my bag back and placing it onto my back again. "You'll thank me later, though. All of my stuff is actually pretty useful."
"Yeah yeah, Mr. Ultimate Survivor, we get it, you're professional. Let's get a move on." They rolled their eyes, but they still smiled. That's what I liked about Y/N - even when I dragged them out into the rain for a long walk, they still kept their head high.
We walked into the thickest part of the forest, where the path frayed into nothing more than grass and weeds, so I took out my waterproof map to see where we were. The rain was quite thick and I struggled to read it. Y/N tried to help, but I just couldn't work out where we were.
That's when I felt something bite my leg.
"Ow, shit!" I cursed, dropping my map as Y/N hurried to see what was up.
I clutched my ankle and then saw it - two pin pricks of blood.
A snake bite.
"Damn." I whispered to myself.
"Rantaro, are you okay? What happened?"
I looked around to see if I could spot the attacker, but the reptile had since slithered off. I knew that I should have worn my thicker boots.
Y/N placed a hand on my shoulder. "Should I get help or are you okay?"
"I... don't know." I mumbled back, standing up. My foot felt odd. It tingled. From what I'd learned, that wasn't a good sign. "We should head back."
Y/N let me cling onto their arm as I attempted to stand up.
Key word - attempted.
The second I put weight on my foot pain shot up my leg. Tears pricked at my eyes, but I didn't cry.
"Oh God, do you have a first aid kit in your bag?"
"I think so, yeah."
They dug around to try and find it. They tossed me her phone.
"Call an ambulance or something." They said, their e/c eyes not straying away from my backpack.
I did so relatively quickly, as panic crept into Y/N's tone. "I can't find it."
"It's okay. It's fine."
"No, Rantaro, nothing about this is fine. You could be poisoned, you could be—"
"Listen, the ambulance are on their way. I'm the SHSL Survivor, remember?"
"Yeah. Okay, yeah."

Good Ending (Narrator's POV)

The doctor's office was small and crowded, but Y/N sat there since Rantaro was first taken to hospital. People came and went, greeted them and left them, grieving over lost loved ones and sighing with relief of good news came.
Y/N could not wait a second longer to see her boyfriend.
A nurse coaxed her into the room which held Rantaro, and the SHSL Survivor looked so weak it was scary.
"Don't worry," The nurse, Nurse Tsmuki, soothed. "He'll feel b-better in about an hour."
They nodded their thanks and before they knew it they were left alone with their sick boyfriend.
They sat beside them pale man and held his hand, closing their eyes and kissing it.
The next rainy day they had they simply played Twister or videogames.

Bad Ending (Narrator's POV)

Y/N waited for hours in the waiting room, only to be told that they would have to leave. After much objection, they did.
They received a letter the next day. Y/N could barely register what it said, just that Rantaro was having complications and had to stay in hospital. No visitors allowed.
Y/N cried a lot that night.
They thought about how they could have stopped it. If they'd been a little more stubborn, he'd be sat with them at that moment.
A week later, Rantaro was dead. His funeral was a crowded one, but Y/N just couldn't bear to believe that he was dead.
In memory of the jokes they made, they planted an avocado tree by his grave.
They still have a fear and hatred of snakes to this day.

Word count - 1001.