(O/S) Chiaki x Aware! Hajime

Requested by @ligmaLMAO. Hope you like it!
Fic title: Promise Me.

Hajime's POV

I don't know how it happened, but the second my eyes opened on that beach, I saw it all.
I saw the blood. The executions. Twogami, Teruteru, Mahiru, Peko, Ibuki, Hiyoko, Mikan, Nekomaru, Gundam.
Nagito.
Chiaki.
I was obviously in shock. I knew what was going to happen, but I couldn't stop them. Before I knew it, Gundam was being beaten to death by ox. I could have stopped it. I could have—
I sighed. I had two more people to protect. I could still do it. I couldn't get bogged down now.
I would do it for Chiaki.
I had grown to love the gamer. I knew her demise was coming, but I couldn't deal with it. I knew up until the last trial, then nothing more. She would be crushed if I didn't do something. I had to fix this.
I had to get rid of Nagito myself.
It seemed drastic - murdering over a possibly unrequited crush? Pathetic!
At the time, my reason had gone up in flames.
Chiaki had to be safe.
I would be the one to save her.

Chiaki's POV

It was late and I couldn't sleep. Who could after seeing that monstrosity? The blood, the blood, why was their so much blood?!
I tried my normal calm down techniques - playing Animal Crossing: New Leaf with the volume on max and absorb myself in catching bugs or collecting shells. My hands wouldn't stop shaking and I couldn't even walk straight. I powered off without saving. Resetti would be pissed.
I had to take a walk. Somewhere other than my stuffy cabin. Somebody would be willing to protect me, right? Hinata might be out. I could go to Hinata and let him tell me that everything would be okay. Let him confirm what I doubted like he always did. The idea of walking alone both tired me out and stressed me out, but I did it anyway.
As I walked, I thought about Hajime. He always seemed so desperate during the trials. So lively and strong. I was crumbling and yearned for support. Did I deserve it? Not from someone like him, no. Did I still go out searching for it? Yes, I felt like I was going sir-crazy.
Was I a bad person for seeking help at a time like this?
Too tough to call.
I knocked on his door once, twice, three times. He did not respond. I knocked again, more frantic.
"H-Hinata?! Hajime! Hajime, open the door!"
Tears brimmed at my eyes as I feared the worst. He was on the floor, bloody and lifeless, limp and pale and I could have stopped it.
"Chiaki." The voice came from behind me. It was distant, sharp, oddly comforting in it's decisiveness.
Hajime Hinata.
"Hajime," I spun around, "I-I thought you were—"
"Chiaki Nanami." He cut me off, placing his hands firmly on my shoulder. His breaths were shallow and uneven. "I tried. I tried so hard to get rid of him. Whatever happens tomorrow, do not do anything. Follow the crowd and remain calm. Please, promise me you won't—"
"Who did you...? Did you hurt someone?"
"I had to try. I failed but I had to try, Chiaki."
"Why would you do that?!" I flinched backwards, pressing myself against his door. Anger fuelled my hollow sadness and unnecessary grief.
"Chiaki, please understand!" His eyes were so agonising to look at. The desperation was stronger than a roaring flame, fear shaking his voice. "You don't understand how hard it is—" his voice cracked as he cried out, "—to know that everyone around you is going to die. Please, you'll never believe me if I told you what I was going through, but please stay away from that fire. Promise me!"
I was taken aback, fearful for both my and Hajime's life. I stuck out my hand and we linked pinkies. "I swear on my life."

>>>timeskip>>>

Narrator's POV

The fire loomed above the far dead Nagito Komaeda. Hajime Hinata had attempted to take his life the previous night but failed, and now the SHSL Lucky Student was at his own demise.
Chiaki was torn between the group's insistent yelling and Hajime's desperate calls from the night before. He was also hanging back, pretending to run and get water to 'put it out faster'.
Chiaki forced herself to throw.
Hinata, upon returning saw the bottle leave the SHSL Gamer's hands. He dropped the water and fell to his knees, sobbing uncontrollably. Logic had left him and only hollow grief struck him hard enough to replace it.
"Chiaki..." he whispered through his choking sobs. He desperately tried to compose himself. "I-I'm sorry for everything that will happen."
As hesitant as Hinata was, he wanted to get the trial done quickly. He revealed everything he had to about the case, aside from his future-vision, and wanted to see Chiaki one final time. He was distraught, yes, but didn't want to drag out the inevitable.
He did not kiss her or hug her. He just couldn't muster up the courage to. He just grabbed her hand and told her that he loved her. That he'd switch places with her in a heartbeat.
Chiaki, never the romantic type to silence him with a kiss on the lips, just pecked his hand. "I understand. I'm sorry I ever doubted you. And, I love you—"
She was gone in an instant, dragged away, her words lost to Monokuma's maniac laughter. Hinata didn't watch her execution.
He wanted his last memories of her to be that flustered yet calm Chiaki Nanami responding to his confession which he overthinks a lot because he could have done it so much better.
"I understand."

Word count - 969.