Chapter 8

Jeanie's POV:

I had never been happier that Uncle Gene was such a smooth liar, as I had learned from him over the centuries, then I was in the moment that Emmett asked me what happened concerning the bruise on my arm. One bad thing about being a genie, there were very few things that killed us but we could still be injured just as a human could. In fact, you'd be surprised what someone could live through.

The bruise had in fact come from the human named Madison as she slammed me into a locker, but I wasn't about to tell him that. It wasn't her fault really, it was the fairy that cursed everyone that wasn't yet an adult. And Madison was only a bitch to me, to every one else she was a normal average girl. Curses suck enough on both ends as it is and I don't want to get her kicked out of school for something she literally cannot control.

He seemed to buy my lie though as I recited it just as I had practiced in the bathroom just moments ago. Besides now I had bigger problems to worry about, like what to wear on our date tomorrow as well as reminding myself not to use my powers while he was over at the house tomorrow.

I felt a small moan come out of my mouth as I fell back onto the bed, thinking that I could always ask Ginger if she could pick me out an outfit for the date, and I could cast a no-power charm for a few hours tomorrow while he was over. I don't know which is worse though, asking Ginger to pick out an outfit for me to wear or no powers for a few hours. The outfit, definitely the outfit.

I sigh some before I prepare to go ahead and genie call Ginger. She was one of my best friends, not that I had that many honestly, but I also know that she is a totally different dresser than me. If I'm not careful she could have me wearing a dress meant for the Oscars come Friday. I let one more sigh before I genie call her back in Hawaii.

"JEANIE! I've missed you! Why haven't you called me already?!? You've been gone for what three whole days?? Do you have any idea how many hotties you have missed seeing out here on the waves?!? Evelyn is all moved into your place by the way, thanks for the heads on that one you bitch!" (Gin)

"Be nice Ginger." (J) 

"Sorry but I mean why her Jeanie? WHY???? Anyone else would have been better to try and replace you. What about that nice banshee......what was her name Barb? She would have been so much better and you know it! I mean you simply don't understand what I'm having to deal with without you here anymore! Do you know how many times I've tried inviting her to the beach or the mall in the last two days and all she wants to do is stay in her garden or read a book or meditate. Elves are so borrrrrrrrrring." (Gin)

"Ginger-" (J)

"She has the ability to entice whatever man she wants but she'd rather spend time reading or playing with plants, that's like us wanting to grant wishes all the time, it's just not normal. Why you picked to move all the way to Washington I'll never understand when you could have stayed here in the warm sun and sand, and hot guys with abs that I would love to-" (Gin)

"GINGER! If I don't interrupt you now I'll never get a word in. I'm sorry I didn't call sooner, but I'm calling for a fashion emergency. I have a date with a human boy this Friday so find me something that says sexy but not so formal that it makes me want to kill you." (J)

It went silent for a moment and I thought I had lost the connection before I heard her scream in what was probably the closet thing to a banshee I ever wish to hear from her. I covered my ears as she kept going for a bit before she finally seemed to run out of air. Thank the genies above for that.

"I cannot believe it. I simply cannot believe it. My little Jeanie all grown up and dating human boys again at last. Finally. Ok, I'm pulling out three outfits and based on what you are planning on doing on the date one of them will work I promise." (Gin)

"Nothing to fancy Gin, I mean it. Or I will never make you hummus ever again." (J)

"Threatening me with no more hummus, you go too far Jeanie dear. But not to formal I promise.........There, how are those?" (Gin)

I sit up on my bed and see the choices she had floating in front of me, from my own closet. The first is a golden dress with sequins going down it, and it's more for a prom or even a wedding than a date. The second one is a royal blue dress with silver leggings and matching heels, that's not too bad I suppose. The third one though is a royal blue sweater with golden jeans and matching blue flats.

I smile knowing that I'll be wearing that one or possibly the royal blue dress and legging combo, depending on how fancy Alice tells me the date is going to be. She already agreed to help me with the outfits I pick out. Though Ginger's first choice is totally insane, I do admit it might be nice for prom though that is literal months away.  Yeah for a first date outfit it would seem that Ginger has lost her mind again.

"Thanks Ginger, I have the perfect one now. I better get going though, still too many humans in the area for me to stay on the line this way for long." (J)

"Ohhhh, but we didn't even get to catch up with each other. Well ok, but I want details after the date. I want to know what's going on with everything! Or I might just have to show up in Washington too babe! Talk to you later Jeanie! BYYYYYYYEEEE!!!!!!!!" (Gin)

"Bye Ginger!" (J)

I smile some before snapping my fingers making the first outfit choice she had go back up in the closet while the other two hang on hangers on the closet door. I love Ginger but wow, she can be a bit much sometimes. I lay back on the bed, clutching my key out of a nervous and fearful habit really, afraid that one day I'll end up losing the damned thing or have it taken again.

I suppose I should still see if there was a way to ease this curse that the fairy had placed, or if I should just appeal to the Fairy Court about it. If I get Uncle Gene to appeal it to the Fairy Court it might get passed through, he is tennis partners with the head Judge. Or at least he was a few months ago. I feel my eyes start to close as I snap my fingers to turn off the lights and tuck myself into bed.

Suppose I should make a call to Uncle Gene either late tomorrow night after Emmett has left or Thursday. I would bet money on it that he tells me to just move or quit high school once I tell him, but I want to try and stay here for a while. And that means high school unless I change my entire appearance and that takes a lot of magic and a lot of energy to do. Maybe I'll wait for a while before I tell Uncle Gene, it's not that bad. It's just a few bruises really.

I clutch at the key around my neck before tucking it inside my night shirt. My last thoughts on the date with Emmett this Friday and I feel myself start to fall asleep with a smile on my face. Emmett may very well be the reason to stay in this town and to appeal to the Fairy Court after all.

Emmett's POV:

I watched her lights turn off and then waited another few minutes before I slowly and as quietly as I could climbed up onto her balcony just outside her bedroom. I tried the door, expecting it to be locked but was frozen in shock as it slid open. I waited another moment or two before I walked in and stood just a few feet from her.

I took a deep breath but again I found she didn't have a scent, it was like her blood was non-existent even as I heard her heartbeat. I saw her curls laying everywhere on the pillow as she slept, a soft smile playing around her lips. I watched as she shivered for a moment as a cool breeze wafted through the open door behind me and I worried she would get too cold throughout the night.

I took one final risk for the night as I stepped closer and pulled the blanket at the foot of the bed over her. She snuggled in the blankets as I did and I smiled watching her. I couldn't think of a more beautiful creature than her, and I realized that Alice had been right about this one.

All the signs were already there. My desire to protect her, my need to see her and be with her, my affection for her even though it'd only been two days of knowing her. Jeanie Eden was for a fact my mate, and I could not have found a more beautiful mate if I tried. Maybe hell wouldn't be so terrible with such a beautiful angel as her in it with me.