Chapter 18

Jeanie's POV:

I now knew how Emmett had felt when I was out of school last week as he was out Wednesday, Thursday and now today. I had sent him a text on Wednesday and he said he and his family were going hiking for a few days while it was sunny but it seemed a bit odd.

Rosalee and Alice never took me as hikers or campers or outdoors people at all. We had to postpone the date yet again, this time with him apologizing profusely, though I told him again and again it was fine.

Though I was wondering if that was fate's way of telling me it wouldn't work out anyway. Suppose Ginger would tell me when I visited her this weekend. I had already told Emmett I would be out of town visiting a friend all weekend, and he sounded a bit bummed out on the phone.

Wasn't like I could easily take him with me though, not without exposing what I was to him. I wasn't exactly flying down to Hawaii. I walked into my house, shutting the door wincing a bit as my arm brushed against my bruised side a bit rougher than I intended.

Madison was only absent on Monday, and by Tuesday the promise that Alice and the others had taken was already being fulfilled. Madison had managed to 'trip' me walking out of one class and 'accidently' push me into a wall on the way to another. That wasn't the worst of it though, it was worse the days that Emmett and them were gone from school.

Today she actually punched me in the ribs a few times before a senior stopped her and told her he'd go to office and report her if he saw her touch me again. Eli....that was him. I need to remember to bless that boy later.

I snapped my fingers and found myself upstairs and in some comfy travel clothes. My bag already packed for the weekend, and I had sent Uncle G my bottle for the weekend to keep it safe. I looked around the room one more time before snapping my fingers and locking the house. I sat down on the bed before I started my call to Ginger, who answered it after half a ring if that.

"Jeanie!! When are you getting here??? Please hurry, cause I invited Evelyn over to wait for you but I can't take much more." (Gin)

"I won't lie Gin, if you could wish me there I would be in your debt." (J)

"Oh my goodness I totally forgot you were still....well you know. I wish you would come down here and see me for the weekend, leaving as soon as possible." (Gin)

"Thanks Gin, on my way now." (J)

I had rolled my eyes a bit as she had remembered I wasn't free from my bottle yet and non-wished magic drained me when I used to much. Sometimes, I wonder if Ginger didn't have a bit of mermaid in her as ditzy as she could be at times. I crossed my arms and closed my eyes before I opened them again to find myself in Ginger's very pink living room.

I scrunched my nose up at the color but soon lost it as I was tackled into a hug by Ginger, clenching my teeth at the pain that rushed through me as my bruised side hit the floor first. She sat up off me and was then talking 90 miles an hour and I barely understood half of what she said but her main concerns were how I was doing, how Gio was, and if I was coming back. Then it seemed she remembered Emmett.

"You bitch! You didn't call me after the date and tell me how it went!" (Gin)

"That's because we've postponed it twice. Don't suppose you could find out from fate why?" (J)

I asked her as a joke, because Ginger was a genie that was friends with everyone and I do mean everyone. If she didn't have at least one friend from each species group then it wasn't normal. She had Harry the hobgoblin, Trevor the troll, Megan the mermaid, the list could go on for days. I smiled a bit but then saw the gears start to turn in her head. Oh shit, I know that look. That's the look that means she didn't see it as a joke.

"Postponed twice? That simply won't do Jeanie, not at all. I think I will call up Felicity, remember her? I think you two met at a ball once or something." (Gin)

"I don't think we did Gin." (J)

"Oh, well anyway she's a fate and she ought to know, and it's not like I'm asking about future masters for you. Only if your string intertwines with his, so surely she can tell me. Plus she's dating a Cyclops named Charles, so even is she discovers he isn't human or a normal creature she can't judge can she?" (Gin)

"Suppose not, but as you do that mind if I rest a bit?" (J)

"Oh, ummm speaking of resting do you mind if you stay with Evelyn this weekend? It's just, well I'm having this human paint the guest room and he's taking his time doing it. Suppose that's my fault though really. He's just so....mmmmmm." (Gin)

I couldn't help the laugh that left my mouth, knowing that the reason I had called Evelyn in advance of agreeing to come down here was because I suspected something like this would happen. Ginger was a genie that had been freed several hundred years ago by her own aunt. She was lucky one with only two masters in her history, and she was only 600 something years old.

"I already asked her Ginger. Go call Felicity and then we can catch up over dinner or even tomorrow. I'm here until Sunday after all." (J)

I watched as she nodded her head and smiled before she disappeared into her bedroom. I stood up from the floor of the very pick living room, trying not to gag a bit before leaving her house and walking over to what had been my house for a few years.

I smile as I see that Evelyn did little to the outside except add a few more plants, the small garden I had attempted in the backyard now a true masterpiece. Before I could knock she opened the door and I smiled at the start contrast between her and Ginger.

Ginger had loud red that hung in waves, with bright green eyes, and tan skin after living in Hawaii for so long. She was loud and hard to follow at times, wild in her decisions, and there were moments where trying to get a word into a conversation with her were impossible. Yet I counted her a friend for I had known her almost since her creation.

Evelyn however, was a friend that had known me since I was barely 50 years old and was well over 6000. She was the one I went to for advice when I knew Uncle couldn't help me. Like any elf she stood at a graceful 5'5", with silver blond hair that went just past her shoulders to aid in covering her pointed ears when she went out and about.

Her pale blue eyes were like ice and almost seemed to pierce your soul. She was quiet and calm in her mannerisms and it was often why, when I was still living here I would disappear to her hideaway in Yellowstone on the weekend rather than hang out with Ginger.

Unlike Ginger had, she smiled a soft smile and welcomed me inside before giving me a gentle hug. I smiled as her hug reminded me of all the weekends I spent with her in her treehouse. I walked in to see how she had decorated and smiled again as I saw familiar looking greens, browns, and even blues that had adorned the treehouse.

"It's been a few months hasn't it Jeanie." (Eve)

"It has Evie, thank you for letting me stay with you. I feared she would do something like this if I agreed to visit." (J)

"Please, it is no trouble to me. I quite enjoy your visits. But something it seems is troubling you, I can see it in just beyond your mind's eye. What is it that you've left in Washington that is bothering you?" (Eve)

I smiled as I knew that Evie would spot something was laying heavy on my mind, just as Ginger would only focus on the surface material. Evie always went deeper than that, she was after all an elf and that's what they do.

"I've met someone that is not human, nor elf, nor fairy. I'm developing feelings for a creature that I do not even know what he is." (J)

"Hmmm tell me more about this....creature as you call him while I prepare a salve for your bruises." (Eve)