Chapter 39

Jeanie's POV:

I had thought he cared about me, but then he commanded me in my native tongue. A command I could not refuse as I was still chained to that damned cursed bottle. I had begged him to revoke it while there was still time but he acted as if he didn't hear me or didn't even care.

He took the bottle and without even seeming to think it through he unlocked the stopper. I did the only thing I had left and that was to beg on my hands and knees for him to re-stopper it. Beg him to let me go.

"Please Emmett, please let me go. Please......please re-stopper it. Please." (J)

I watched him kneel next to me with the bottle still un-stoppered and I flinched away from it knowing that at any moment I could be sucked inside. I felt my breathing increase as I panicked at the thought of being trapped within the bottle again with a master that I had only moments ago loved unconditionally.

I felt the pull of the bottle begin at the same moment I felt his hand on my shoulder. It was starting slowly since I hadn't been trapped within it for the last few decades, but it was still starting nonetheless. I felt the sobs that I had been holding back slip through as I realized I would be spending eternity trapped within my bottle by the being I loved.

"Jeanie it's alright, don't cry please." (Em)

"Please let me go, please don't trap me inside. I can't.....I can't do it again please let me go." (J)

"Trap you inside, inside what?" (Em)

"My....my bottle. Please put the stopper back in please." (J)

Emmett's POV:

Everything suddenly clicked and I realized at last what she was and what she was talking about. She was a genie and this was her bottle. So, if I trapped her and then let her out I would be her master. For a moment, the idea of wishes from an actual genie sounded awesome, but that moment was long gone as I looked at Jeanie sobbing and shaking on the floor.

I grabbed the key and quickly locked the stopper back in place before I laid the bottle gently on the table and grabbed Jeanie in my arms. I hated myself as she flinched away from me, knowing that any trust she had with me was probably completely gone now. I gently took the key and put it back around her neck before kissing her gently on the head.

I picked Jeanie up in my arms as gently as I could before grabbing the bottle from the table and rushing us both up to my room. I shut the door gently behind us before sitting down on the bed with her still wrapped in my arms. I started to run my fingers through her curls as she continued to cry into my chest.

"Jeanie, I'm sorry. If you can ever forgive me, please do it." (Em)

"Why did you have to find out that way?" (J)

"Carlisle said it would test to see if you were, well I suppose a genie." (Em)

"If he knew of that way, surely he knew of the other ways to find out I was a genie. Commanding me in my native tongue, activating my curse like that, was it so important to you that you find out that you use such a harsh method as that?" (J)

"I didn't know what it said when I read it Jeanie, I swear it, but couldn't I ask the same of you considering how you found out about us? We stand to face the wrath of the Volturi if they thought we had told a human." (Em)

"I have just as much to lose as you do, from my own council! I stood to be trapped in my bottle by the genie council as punishment should I tell a supernatural that wasn't aware of our presence already." (J)

"Trapped in a bottle is the same as death by being ripped to pieces and burned?" (Em)

I was trying to make a joke out of the current situation that I had put myself into but one look at her face as she sat up on the bed and glared at me with a few tears falling from her beautiful eyes told me my joke was not taken as one.

"Yes, trapped in a bottle with no interaction from any other living creature is worse. Can you even imagine an existence like that, being trapped like that even for a year or two, let alone a decade or a century? Can you imagine the next 200 years without an interaction with anyone, without light, without comfort?" (J)

Each question she asked pierced my stone heart and made me want to take her back into my arms. I had failed her horribly as a mate so far these past few weeks and she didn't even know it yet. But now, as I see the pain behind her questions, I know that she has experienced each and every question she asks.

"You've been trapped in the bottle before for 200 years?" (Em)

I watched as she flinched a bit before closing her eyes and nodding, climbing off my lap and the bed we were sitting on, before she walked out onto the balcony attached to my room. She sat in a chair in the corner of the balcony and I leaned against the railing diagonal from her as she looked at over the forest.

"I need to show you my master's marks." (J)

"Ok Jeanie." (Em)

"Alice.....she saw them once by mistake. I had forgotten to charm them as I've done with you." (J)

She looked at me for a moment before she stood and turned away, raising her shirt as she did. It was then I saw the tattoos that Alice had told me about, apparently her master's marks. I read all twenty-eight of them, the last one being level with one of her ribs. Like Alice had I saw the more famous names of humans going down her back, and I flinched as I realized some of them had been her masters.

Before I could ask her about any of the names or what happened to her while she served some of them, she pulled her shirt back down and turned back around to sit in the chair facing the forest again. I watched her take a shaky breath before she looked back at me.

"Before my uncle had a stopper with a lock made for me, my master...Master Smith.....he told me he loved me.....told me he would protect me......he betrayed me and.......he trapped me inside my bottle." (J)

"How did a human live so long to keep you trapped that long?" (Em)

"He didn't. He was a sea man and he died before he freed me or told anyone else about me. Uncle didn't have a tracker on my bottle yet and so for some time he thought I was simply exploring the world. After a year he started searching for me." (J)

"He couldn't just wish to find you or have someone else wish for it?" (Em)

"Another genie cannot wish to find a different genie's bottle. There are rules that our curse must follow, and trackers on bottles had not yet become common place. By the time uncle managed to find me I had been trapped in that bottle for 283 years. In the dark, and locked away in storage, all alone for 283 years. So, don't tell me death is worse than being trapped in that cursed bottle!" (J)

"I'm so sorry Jeanie I didn't know.....I wish I hadn't hurt you in such a way as this. I love you Jeanie, I didn't mean to hurt you." (Em)

I watched as she closed her eyes before a small smile seemed to grace her face and she looked at me again. She stood up from the chair before walking over to me, allowing me to wrap her into a hug.

"That was a heartfelt wish Emmett, and I forgive you." (J)

"How did you know it was heartfelt?" (Em)

"I'm a genie Emmett, wishes are kind of my thing." (J)

I couldn't help the laugh that slipped from my mouth at that and I gently picked her in my arms and carried her back into the house. I slid the balcony door shut and laid her down on the bed, laying next to her as she snuggled into my chest. I had hundreds if not thousands of questions left to ask her but I watched as her eyes started to close and I knew that they could wait until morning.