Chapter 74

Jeanie's POV:

I took Carlisle's hand into my own and thought of a place that was safe for us to go and talk without fear of being overheard. I knew my new house was a possibility but I wanted that to be just Emmett's, Gemma's, and mine for a bit longer. So, I took us to a small supernatural diner in neutral territory called Presley's Place.

I watched with amusement as Carlisle's eyes went wide as he looked around. It wasn't very busy today, but there was a satyr in a corner booth with a minotaur, and a mermaid with a water nymph in the pool booth. Not to mention our waitress was an old acquaintance of mine named Beth, a Banshee.

"Hello, just seat yourselves I'll be right over." (Becky)

Carlisle followed me to a small booth in the middle of the diner as his eyes looked all over the room again before looking out the window and freezing again. I laughed a bit as I looked out at what he was seeing. Presley's Place was in the middle of Stonehenge but was invisible and unfindable to humans and supernatural that wasn't already aware of it's existence.

His gaze was turned from the outside back to the inside as the minotaur starting laughing so loud it seemed to echo off the walls of the small diner like an earthquake. The Satyr's softer laugh followed, but still managed to capture Carlisle's attention. My smile remained as I saw Becky walk up to our booth with a slight smile on her face.

"Ah I thought that was you Jeanie, and you've brought a friend I see. Usual Jeanie?" (Becky)

"Yes, thank you Becky." (J)

"No problem and I'll see what we have in stock for your vegetarian friend here yeah?" (Becky)

"Is she a...a-" (Carlisle)

"A banshee, yes she is. But a delightful person once you get over the negative attitude. The food here is to die for, especially depending on your species. The cook in the back is a leprechaun named Larry and his recipes are both amazingly lucky and delicious." (J)

"Where are we? We're not really in Stonehenge right?" (Carlisle)

"Actually we are, and to be more specific we're in Presley's Place a diner that's considered neutral territory. Here even if we are overheard it won't matter. Plus, I thought you might appreciate this location the most, considering your own history and age." (J)

I saw him nod again before his attention was caught by the wood nymph that just arrived and started chatting happily with the water nymph a few booths down from ours. I smiled a bit before I saw Becky coming back with a plate of fried falafel with humus and oolong tea for me, and a large glass of blood.

"Alright Jeanie, usual for you and for your friend here a fresh steaming glass of elk." (Becky)

"Thank you Becky." (J)

She nodded before walking off and I started on my own food as Carlisle quickly drained his mug of blood. I knew that Becky would bring out another in just a few seconds but for now we sat quietly, until that is Carlisle broke the silence.

"What is it you wanted to speak to me about Jeanie?" (Carlisle)

"Two reasons, one good and the other......well it's not good but I don't know how bad it is yet." (J)

"Good first I suppose?" (Carlisle)

"Alright, that works best truthfully because it leads to the bad. So every century or so a conference with delegates from each species meets and discusses truces, treaties and what not that are held between other species. It is usually headed and run by committees consisting of leaders from the Elven Royalty, the Genie Council, the Mermaid Monarchy, the Wooden Realm Parliament, and every other species governing body that you could imagine." (J)

"As amazing as that all sounds, what does it have to do with me?" (Carlisle)

"The committees have agreed to extend an invitation to you, and of course to Esme should you accept, to appear as one of the vampire delegates this century. Vampires it seems have lacked a proper delegate these past few millennia, being completely absent in fact." (J)

"I could have guessed with as little as I knew about your species, let alone the others. I would be honored to attend as I'm sure Esme would be as well but why was I chosen?" (Carlisle)

"I can only guess that the genie council voted strongly for you, as well as Evelyn on the Elven Royalty. The other committees, if lacking another choice, would have gladly welcomed their suggestion." (J)

"I.....thank you, thank all the councils for me if you can or I will myself when Esme and I attend the conference. Will we be the only vampires in attendance?" (Carlisle)

"This is where the bad news comes in I'm afraid. It seems that your own governing body believes itself superior to every species, not just humans, and as you can imagine many supernatural creatures are annoyed by their belief. So it has been requested that you and I travel to the Volturi and inform them, as well as invite them to select a delegate of their own should they wish." (J)

"Emmett won't like that, no one in the family will." (Carlisle)

"I know, and I will need you to wish away memories of Gemma for her safety and my own sanity. We may have an old truce but I do not trust them. Not to mention I will have to appear in full genie form which I haven't done since that Disney movie came out years ago." (J)

"When will we have to go?" (Carlisle)

"The conference begins January 15th and ends January 20th. We need to visit the Volturi tomorrow at the latest." (J)

"Emmett will really really dislike this, as will Esme. But, if it must be done it must be done. I'm glad I must say that if I have to visit them without my family I am doing so with you Jeanie." (Carlisle)

"I have one more thing Carlisle. I want to thank you for letting me into your family, for granting Emmett the gift or curse of your species if you think of that way instead. If you hadn't turned him so many years ago, I wouldn't have him and Gemma now. Thank you Carlisle." (J)

"I am happy to have you join our family Jeanie. We all are. Now though, I suppose we better be getting back before the family worries about us." (Carlisle)

"Yes, you're right. Becky, check please!" (J)

"Coming right up, ok so in total it comes to two wishes and a small vial of venom, not including tip of course." (Becky)

"Of course, still like blue topaz Becky?" (J)

"What else?" (B)

I smile as I look at the wish board Larry has hanging up on the kitchen door and grant the one for another supply of fresh oysters and clams, and a second one for a repair on the roof. I also get a vial and hand it to Carlisle who looks confused for a second before he fills it with his venom and hands it over to Becky. One last snap of my fingers and a simple but elegant blue topaz necklace appears around her neck.

"Wow, better than I thought. Thanks Jeanie and Jeanie's friend. Have a good day. See yah in another few months I suppose." (B)

"This is truly an extraordinary world we live in." (Carlisle)

"Oh Carlisle, you have no idea my friend." (J)