Chapter 40

Emmett's POV:

I looked at the bottle on the table next to the bed and the key that was around her neck before I decided I wanted to figure out how to free her. Perhaps Carlisle would know or perhaps I could figure it out if I opened it in a room where she wasn't. I figured she would be safe from the curse it held over her if she wasn't near it. I gently took the key off her neck and then grabbed the bottle from the table before going downstairs.

I saw Jasper and Alice watching a civil war documentary, with Jasper commentating on it as the narrator messed up something. Rose was in the corner doing her nails, while Edward wrote some music. Carlisle and Esme were still on their hunting trip/date night.

"Well Em, how'd it go?" (Jas)

"No way, really?" (Ed)

"What?" (Rose)

"Yeah really, Jeanie is a genie. Complete with a bottle and everything." (Em)

They all stared at me in silent surprise, and I agreed it was still strange to think of other supernatural creatures out there other than us and the wolves that lived in Forks. I watched as Alice and Jasper broke out into a smile first, followed by a chuckle from Jasper.

"Go figure a genie named Jeanie." (Jas)

"But everything else went fine didn't it? Just as I foretold." (Alice)

I couldn't help the smirk and rolling of my eyes as I nodded to Alice's question. I didn't get the chance to respond though as I heard a noise in my room and placed the bottle and key to the stopper on the table before I rushed upstairs to find Jeanie awake standing next to the bed with a panicked look on her face as her eyes met mine.

"Where is it?!?!" (J)

"The bottle?" (Em)

"And my key!" (J)

"It's safe Jeanie, downstairs with the others. I promise you that no one here will hurt you Jeanie." (Em)

"It isn't that, it's just not safe to keep it out in the open what if someone else happened upon it Emmett?!?" (J)

"Jeanie, it's alright I promise. It's a house of vampires, we're not likely to get robbed it'll be ok." (Em)

"No I have to......ahhhh!" (J)

"Jeanie what's wrong?!?" (Em)

I watched in a panic as she fell to her knees and looked up at me to answer but couldn't seem to get the words to form. Before I could make a move to get any closer to her, she disappeared from my room and I heard Alice call my name in a slight panicked tone. I sprinted downstairs to see Rosalee holding the un-stoppered bottle and Jeanie laying in front of her begging her to stop just as she had begged me earlier.

"Please Rose, no." (J)

I grabbed the key and bottle from Rose to re-stopper the bottle but before I could I watched as Jeanie seemed to dissolve into a pile of gold smoke and go into the bottle. The stopper flew from my hand and sealed the bottle just as Esme and Carlisle walked into the living room. Carlisle took one look around the room and then his eyes landed on the bottle in my hand.

"Oh no......Emmett did you open the bottle with Jeanie here?!?" (C)

"No I didn't, Rose did and she-" (Em)

"Turned into smoke and went inside it?" (Ed)

"The genie curse. Emmett, she's trapped in the bottle until a new master releases her then just as the stories told. It means she isn't a free genie, she's still chained to the bottle." (C)

"Why didn't you re-stopper the bottle Rose!?! She was begging you and you just ignored her?!?!" (Em)

"I thought that we could just let her out after she was sucked in! How was I supposed to know that she would get a new master once we did that?? I didn't want this to happen Emmett!" (Rose)

"Yea right! You haven't liked her since day one!" (Em)

"That's not true!" (Rose)

"Calm down! Both of you! You two shouting at each other won't help anything." (Esme)

"She's right, especially since you're only option right now Emmett is to open the bottle." (C)

I froze for a moment as I realized he was right. Now whether I had ever wanted it or not I was about to become Jeanie's master. I looked at Carlisle one last time with regret before I opened the stopper on the bottle and waited for the smoke that I knew was Jeanie to come out. Surely, she would have a way to make it where I was no longer her master. I didn't want her as a slave, I wanted her as a mate.