Chapter 65

Jeanie's POV:

I knew that to leave him in such a way would freak him out beyond reason as I simply faded away, but I also knew that for a genie cursed or free to disobey the council's orders was pure folly. I opened my eyes and found myself staring at three of the seven council members whom I recognized instantly as Elder Jaah, Elder Jade, and Elder Jessi.

I bowed towards them before I stood in front of them and the high table at which they sat, wishing for a moment that I had on something a bit more council meeting appropriate than my tank and sweatpants. However, my state of dress was not my fault as I knew better than to waste time by changing clothes before coming to them.

I could hear my heartbeat pounding in my ears as I began preparing for the absolute worse-case scenario. I could be facing hate crimes against the two vampires that the shapeshifters killed, or crimes against exposing our kind to a species that had no knowledge of us, or countless others act of accidentally seen magic.

My panic and worry only grew as I stood in front of them until I saw Elder Jaah offer me a small smile. He had been my uncle's mentor until he became an Elder of the Council, and I had met him several times at Uncle's New Year's Eve party. His smile sent some amount of comfort into me but not enough for me to relax completely about why I was summoned.

"Jeanie of the Egyptian Genies, the Genie Council congratulates you on becoming free of the genie's curse. Now though as a free genie your next stage of life begins." (Elder Jade)

"There is a new genie to be created by the start of the New Year, and we have decided that you would be offered the chance to take it under your wing." (Elder Jessie)

I stood frozen in semi-shock as I realized that I was essentially being offered the chance to be an Aunt to a new genie. It should have taken me another hundred if not thousand years before I was offered this honor. In fact, I knew that I wasn't first in line though, as even Gio was freed before I was just a few days ago.

I know that Ginger was ahead of me as well as several others including my other cousins Gregory and Gisella. They should have been before me as they were both genies, whereas my lover was a vampire rather than a genie. I stare up at the three council members in slight confusion as I address them.

"Me? I am just recently freed though, what of the other genies that have been freed for several more decades than I?" (J)

"We have discussed it among the whole Council and have made our decision unanimously. It is the Council's decision when to offer a freed genie mentorship over a new genie and we have chosen you." (Elder Jade)

"I am honored by the Council's decision but I am unsure what I have done to deserve such an honor." (J)

"The Council has been watching you lately, Jeanie of the Egyptian Genies, and we are well pleased by your actions. You are friends with many species and are clever in finding ways to a solution that does not leave genies at fault, nor expose us to the unknowing creatures that roam the world." (Elder Jesse)

"And you have undergone many hardships while you were cursed. You are well familiar with pain, loss, heartbreak, hatred, and malice from previous owners and yet you stayed true to yourself." (Elder Jaah)

"I am honored that the members of the Council think as such. I still find myself amazed that my time cursed has warranted such an honor as this." (J)

"Think of it as a reward for everything you have endured while cursed, that we offer this new genie to you first. You of course may turn down this offer but then we cannot guarantee that you will soon be offered another." (Elder Jaah)

I almost laughed at that, the idea of turning down the chance to mentor and protect and even guide a new genie. That was something unheard of and had never been done before, and I was not about to do it now. Becoming an 'Aunt' to a new genie was something that I had once longed for when I was younger. The only thing that gave me pause now was that I had yet to ever talk to Emmett about this.

I had thought that I would have decades more time before the subject was even close to being discussed, as few new genies was born in this day and age. I didn't know whether he would want to be an Uncle to a genie. I could only hope that he would and he would not be upset by my choice to take on such a large responsibility.

"What is your answer Jeanie?" (Elder Jade)

I am pulled from my thoughts as the Elders all stare at me, waiting for my answer. I know that to turn down their offer is foolishness at it's best, and I don't want to turn it down anyway. I feel a small smile cross my face as I stare back up at the council members making my final decision.

"I.....I accept. I, Jeanie of the Egyptian Genies, will raise the genie to the best of my ability and protect it as best as I can until they are freed from their curse. I will ensure that they understand, know, and follow all rules that this Council installs. I will raise the genie as my own, as I was raised as such by my own mentors. Never abandoning them until they themselves are freed from their curse." (J)

"Well-spoken Jeanie. It is settled then that you shall become the genie's new mentor and guardian at the start of the New Year. You will know when to appear to them." (Elder Jaah)

"For now though Jeanie, perhaps it is best if you return to your lover as I am sure he is worried about you." (Elder Jade)

I saw her smile at me with a knowing smile while the other two Elders only seemed to smirk in a way that reminded me of Uncle. I felt my face blush some as before I nodded in agreement with her statement. I bowed to them again before I felt myself leaving their presence and I opened my eyes to find myself in the living room of the Cullen's house. I was not alone though as everyone was there and several of them seemed to be screaming at one another.