Chapter 2, Punching bag

"This is D'logiram

"This is D'logiram. Rebma D'logiram," Amber says into the phone.

I stare at the stranger. Gone is the gold. Gone is the paint. Gone is the wind- I mean gone are the oceans.

Yet, why am I still here?

I'm here because I made a promise. I failed, but I'm not giving up. Even if I'd have to mine my own damn gold to sprinkle over her or go back into my brother's room to get her some paint on her outfit or even dry the oceans to get them in her eyes, I am not giving up on this girl.

Rebma is a good leader, but Amber has my heart. 

I clench my fists when Rebma walks off to discus the details with whoever's on the phone. A Gareth something. When she's gone, Owen and I share a look. It's time for another meeting. I follow my new-found friend to my old study and close the door once we're inside.

Owen turns to me with a worried look: "Who the hell is Rebma?" he asks.

"It's Amber spelled backwards," I point out with an eye-roll.

"How the hell didn't I see that?"

"All muscle, no brain," I sigh.

"Hey, you can insult my intelligence, but don't insult my brain. Wait, no, that's not right..."

"Is the bet still on?" I ask, because everything is so screwed up. Never would I have guessed the girl that talked back all those months ago would make everything so confusing. Turn the whole town upside down.

"I want to say the bet is off, because even with our past, I kind of see you as a friend now... The only problem is, I don't think whoever loses would just let it go," Owen explains.

I nod my head, because he's right. If there's even a chance I can get the old Amber back, I can't bare seeing her with Owen and not me. Even if Owen is a friend now, it doesn't mean I'll bless their relationship or anything. The only way I'd be fine with Owen getting Amber is if...

"Then the bet is still on, but the rules are changing," I announce.

"What are the rules?" Owen asks.