Chapter 77, A piece of my soul

The rain doesn't end, but gets a little lighter

The rain doesn't end, but gets a little lighter. I make sure to order all remaining Southerners to carry all the Northern and Sterling corpses into a line so we could identify them and send their bodies back to families. Not even half of them have family to send to. The rest we burn.

"Is there anyone I know that didn't make it?" Marigold asks hesitantly. I look back at her and though it's clear she really wants to know, I don't miss how the oceans in her eyes have gone quiet in anticipation. 

"As far as I know, Jack," I say solemnly.

I remind myself of the maroon watch and that I can't mourn for him right now. After. After everything I will go to my room and tell Jack how sorry I am to have brought him to his death.

When I glance back at Marigold, I see her look mirroring mine. Pain, clear pain is there, but silver helps her to hold on. To hold on a little longer until she can get to a room and cry for Jack. Cry for everyone I think.

We walk back to where there's the most wreckage. A dozen trucks have been exploded and are still burning. The light rain sending up more and more smoke into the sky.

My bones freeze when I see Paul... Standing over someone very familiar...

"Daniel?" I ask and start running over. Marigold is right behind me and I stress even more when Daniel is covered in soot and cinder and isn't moving even a bit. Paul is just standing there with a blank expression.

"Daniel!" I try again when I get there.

Two inner gang members? Please don't tell me this is true...

"Oh, stop faking it, ye Man Whore," Nessa says when she comes strutting over and kicks Daniel with her heel.

Daniel flinches at the hit and sits up before scolding at Nessa. "Bagpipes! You ruined my moment! Xav was going to cry for me!" Daniel whines.

"Yer a horrible actor," Nessa scoffs.

Paul smiles mischievously before helping Daniel up and my remaining three inner gang members stand in front of me.