Chapter 71, Bullets and boats

A/N: This is a pretty violent few chapters, so uhhh warning

An explosion goes off right next to my Bugatti and the impact sends my black car swerving to the left

An explosion goes off right next to my Bugatti and the impact sends my black car swerving to the left. I can't do anything as the car dives off onto the red beach and starts making it's way to the shore with an unstoppable force. Hitting the water is almost worse. It's still shallow, but the waves push and pull us towards the ocean.

"Fuck!" I yell when I struggle to get the door open. 

"We have to get out!" Owen says in panic. His dark eyes are wild and copper hair sticking to his face.

I look up at the sound of engines and not too far away, I spot boats and jet skis heading our way. The machine guns on those boats tell me these aren't just your average fishermen getting up to fish early.

"The South... They knew and they're going to kill us if we don't get out right now," I say and start kicking at the door. Owen kicks at his as well, but the water is already rising to the handle and I feel water soak the floor of the car.

Just when things can't get worse, the sound of bullets deafens everything else out as the South opens fire at us. "Get down!" I warn and we both duck as some bullets shoot through the front window. "We have to get out at the back!" I say and start moving to the boot. The car with it's slick design doesn't make it easy, but with Owen's help, we manage to kick the flap open that leads to the trunk.

I fiddle with the inside of the trunk's lock until by some miracle, it opens. Thank God!

"Get out!" I order Owen and he does so. His wide shoulders and more bulky built doesn't help him, but he manages. 

When Owen is out, I crawl out myself as well and fall into the shallow water. Soaking wet and with my black hair clinging to my forehead, I look up to Owen crouching behind the boot. "They're still shooting at us," Owen says in panic.

I look up and it's a bit of a steep hill to get back to the road where we came from.

The road unfortunately doesn't look much better. The special Italian forces that survived the explosions are out and shooting at the Southerners that came swarming from nowhere. Some fight with guns and when they run out of bullets, switch to fists. I can't find Xavier or Jane in the chaos, but I'm pretty sure they're busy fighting. Or dead...