Chapter 50, Impossible order

A/N: Oh wow, another update! This deserves a vote ;)

Myra Abston still has the gun pointed at Owen. Her grip only tightening even more. A bead of sweat is trickling down her forehead. She looks tired. Tired and conflicted and I have no idea if she'll actually shoot my friend.

"Myra, shoot Owen Rhodes," Jane yawns.

Just when I think it's over and my stubborn silence will cost Owen's life, Myra does the unthinkable. Within a split second, she spins around, has her gun aimed at Jane and squeezes the trigger.

In that split second I think to myself that there can't possibly be a bullet in that gun. Jane couldn't possible be stupid enough to hand Myra a loaded gun.

But Jane jerks to the side and clings to the desk at the top op the elevated steps. A wave of relief is on stand by. Just fall. Just fall down and die, I think to myself. 

Everyone is silent. Nobody moves as Jane tries getting her breathing steady. We could all be witnessing the end of Jane D'logiram. Taminn might take over. Who knows how he'll take his daughter's death. He'll probably kill a lot more people than Jane intended on killing. A father's rage can be unstoppable. 

But while I analyze the situation in my head, Jane straightens up and rips open her blouse. Underneath is a modified, slim-fitted bulletproof vest. Everyone watches Jane remove the bullet from her vest and then look back at Myra.

"Should've aimed somewhere a little more fatal," Jane groans.

Alarmed, Myra raises her gun and tries shooting Jane again. Jane is faster than she looks and ducks just in time, all the while walking down the steps towards Myra. Now panicked, Myra spins around and shoots the two men that dragged her down here. Everyone takes a step back and chaos slowly starts forming. The men are also wearing vests and only take a step back with the impact.

I look back up at Jane walking towards Myra. She pulls out a gun from her back pocket and takes aim at Myra. 

I start thinking about myself. Selfish, but in a matter of two seconds, I analyze my whole life.