Chapter 8, Pride and Pizza

"Make it rain? Seriously?" Daniel laughs in the car while I speed off

"It was cool," I mumble and everyone chuckles for a second. Nessa quickly makes herself comfortable on Paul again and I take off my maroon jacket. Daniel is on DJ duty and plays Take On Me by Aha! He knows damn well I love the eighties. By far, the best music is from that era.

"Damn, that Amber chick is hot! No wonder you're so obsessed with the girl! I guess I had to see her to understand" Daniel comments.

But he doesn't understand how it's her soul that has my skin burning when we touch. 

I scoff and Nessa is quick to reply: "Aye, if it wasn't for Xav over here, I would've totally hit on her. I'll admit, she's a wee bit on the skinny and pale side, but I'll make it work."

"If there's anybody that could get her, it would be me," Daniel smirks.

"Everyone knows, I get more chicks than ye," Nessa snickers.

"Oh, it's on, Bagpipes," Daniel challenges.

"Xav, ye know of any good clubs in the city?" Nessa asks. I swear if I'd have to sit through another one of Nessa and Daniel's challenges, I might actually puke. It could be an opportunity for me to score someone for the night, but I can't look at another woman without thinking how they're not Amber. How they probably never dug for earthworms when they were younger.

"I know of one," I answer.

"Great! Dany's ego needs a trim," Nessa laughs.

We drive back to the hotel with eighties music blasting through the speakers and Nessa kicking at Jack with her stilettos. Jack keeps threatening to hack into her browser history and that gets her to stop for a few seconds before she just continues kicking him on the beat of the music. Paul stays quiet with a content smile as always.

By the time we get to the hotel, Nessa is all worked up about getting the perfect outfit for tonight. When Paul carries the still-unconscious Jacoobah to our room, we get a few looks, but nobody dares to question us. Even in the city people know of the North's feared inner-gang.