Chapter 57, Truth and Dare

A/N: Vote for this super long chapter!

"Next week, before you leave. Blake's going to meet you at the cemetery. Nobody should find you two there," I hear the Sean kid tell Marigold. 

I'm behind the stairs - on my way to Amber  to bring her a drink, when I suddenly heard their hushed whispers. I haven't heard all of it, but it sounds like Amber's going to meet Blake. I know he wanted to talk to her earlier, but... Are they maybe getting back together or something?

Come on, Xavier. It doesn't matter. You're doomed to be with Jane. Just leave it, I tell myself and walk back with the two cups of brandy. Frustrated and as shameful as it is to admit, jealous, I drink Amber's cup of brandy and leave it in a plant vase.

Right before I can get back to others, I get a call from the devil herself. As if she heard my thoughts. Not sure Jane should hear the loud music, I rush to the door that leads to the basement. The old, heavy door does the job of shutting out noise once I'm inside. 

"Hello," I greet once the phone is answered.

"Why, good evening my fiance," Jane purrs.

"What do you want?" I ask and start pacing up and down the cold stone corridor. Somewhere there's a leak. A groaning noise is also coming from one of the further cells in the room. The smell of rust is pretty strong down here.

"You haven't called about Amber yet. It's strange," Jane says.

"Why would I? I'll give you a bill for the cleaning charges. Or should I send it to Blake? My carper is fucking ruined. You're lucky it's Halloween," I growl into the phone. Still in the ridiculous dress, I decide to pull off the maroon/red wig and clutch it in my fist to prevent from losing my cool right now.

You know the part you must play, I tell myself.

"See, I just can't believe you wouldn't be upset about Amber dying," Jane continues, "You seemed a little attached..."

"Of course I was. I wanted to marry a bloody Sterling heir so I can merge gangs. Not to mention she's hot. Fucking her wouldn't have been the worst thing either. You ruined that before it could happen," I rant.