Chapter 31, Dress Shopping

Last night I couldn't sleep for a second

When everyone eventually went to bed after all the crazy that happened, Blake came to my room and snuggled in next to me in bed. He said he just couldn't believe I was his and that he wanted to savor every moment f it. I agreed as long as we were clear on the fact that I was 'tired' and wanted to sleep.

When I did fall into a sleep, I'd wake up within seconds with images of my mother or Calvin or Matt getting shot and people running into my house or dragging me away.

So, I resorted to staying awake and staring up at the ceiling while Blake was a deep sleep next to me. I was thinking about all the things I could tell him. How he won't be happy in this marriage, because somewhere at some point he'll realize he's sleeping next to a corpse. But I didn't tell him. Because I need this engagement thing to work. To send a message. To make Sterling look strong.

And with the knowledge that my father is still alive... Maybe he'll help me figure everything out. I just need to stay strong until the Masquerade. After that dance, everything will be easier.

When the sun starts rising, I look over at the bright warm colors seeping into the room. I think a sunrise is probably the most beautiful thing in a day.

By the time Blake wakes up, I pretend to be sleeping. I feel him sit up and then have a gentle hand brush over my exposed shoulder. "You're so beautiful," I hear him whisper. "I promise, I can make you happy." Blake gets up and leaves while I stay in bed for a little longer. I don't want to get out, but I have to.

When I hear the doorbell ring, I get up, wrap myself in a blanket and head downstairs. I stop when I hear Myra and Blake's voices by the door. Slowly, I walk closer while avoiding to be seen. I want to hear whatever their saying in hushed whispers.

"You guys forgot about me! I was at Nick's the whole night! Why didn't you guys come fetch me like you said you would! What even happened?" Myra asks angrily.

"Shit! I totally forgot about you! I'm sorry, things was just going really fast," Blake apologizes.

"Well, I hope your little scheme worked. Does she at least like you now?"