Chapter Three

On the second floor towards the end of the corridor, lies Arthur Kirkland's study. The windows viewed his garden. Most of the plants are roses. Now frosted like a cake with white icing. Maybe the red ones will be quite visible by the end of the month.

"It's a pity he won't be able to see them at the end of the month. I reckon they'd be lovely." (F/n) stood by the window behind Arthur's large desk.

"I'm sure he sees them all the time to the point he memorise and names each of his roses." (y/n) replies nonchalantly.

She sat cross legged on a red velvet couch by the fireplace. Though she sat more like a man than a lady. So unladylike. There was a knock on the door. (Y/n) invited the person in.

"I've prepared earl grey and some scones." Mr. Martin the butler brought in a tray.

"Did Arthur made the scones?" (Y/n) looked at the butler.

"No, my lady. I had the cook prepared it. Master should arriave here in a moment."

"Thank you Mr. Martin. You may resume your duties." (Y/n) dismissed him.

"Thank god Arthur didn't made those. His cooking tasted like sewer rats." (Y/n) grimaced.

"You're being mean." (F/n) turned to face (y/n) with a smile.

"Oh trust me. I know this man." (Y/n) averted her gaze to the flames at the fire place.

"Sorry I'm late." Arthur pushed through the door of his study room with his uninjured arm. "Don't tell me you came here with just wearing that. Where's your coat?" 

"Seriously Arthur. Loosen up a little. Is that how you treat your long lost friend?" (Y/n) chuckled until she noticed that Arthur was still serious. " Your maid took our coats.".

Arthur sighed of relief. "You ought to wear something more appropriate. Something more warm. It's still winter." He poures himself a cup of tea and sipped it. "Why are you here?".

"Silly Arthur. We're obviously the representatives.".

"I meant, why are 'you' here? You've just earned your master's -congratulations by the way- but didn't you want to be a historian? To further your education?".

"I was planning on getting a doctor's degree. But it seems that my dad had other plans." (Y/n) smiled as her thoughts drifted to earlier this month.

"You want me to be a representative?" (Y/n) was taken aback, but kept her voice steady.

Major General the Marquess of Hexham, Lord (d/n) (l/n) was having dinner with his one and only child. He requested her to represent the British Army to meet and to settle 'things' with the countries.

"But I've just earned my master's. Didn't we planned for me to further my studies after this?".

"There are some serious things going on in our country. The Earl of Trent will be sending his daughter too. Lady (f/n) if  not mistaken, your friend I'm sure. Besides, you will be paid monthly.". 

"Monthly?!" (Y/n) felt like choking her food. "How long will it be?".

"That, I'm not quite so sure." Lord (d/n) proceed to finish his food.

(Y/n)'s thoughts quickly return to the room. Arthur was sitting at his desk, eating scones. (F/n) was staring out the window with a teacup in her hand.

"Your friend, (f/n), what's she taking?" Arthur asked after a while.

"I've just earned a master's from medical school." (F/n) replied with her usual polite smile.

"How old are you?"

"Like (y/n), 22."

"You're quite young. You must be a genius."

"Please England, you're praising me too much."

"I don't think so. And please (f/n), just call me Arthur. I'm still (y/n)'s friend as you can say. I babysitted the brat since she was a toddler. God she was annoying."

"Hey!" (Y/n) yelled from behind. As much as she hated the fact. It was true. Arthur was a good friend of Lord (d/n) (l/n).

"For goodness sake (y/n), I changed your diapers and read you bedtime stories. I might as well be your brother."

"Shut up Arthur!"

"Face the truth spoiled brat!"

(F/n) laughed internally as she drank her tea and watch Arthur and (y/n) bickering like siblings. Guess (y/n) got her rough attitude from him. (F/n) continue to look out the window. She got a feeling that things will get more challenging after this. She'll have to prepare for anything, inside out. Besides, like her mother always said:-

A boat can't always sail the winds, an army can't always win battles.