Chapter Twenty Nine

The first European social event that Kiku had ever been to was with Ludwig and Feliciano. It was not really a ball, more like a social gathering. But a ball still could be considered as a social gathering, right? Anyway, tonight's ball revived Kiku's memories of his first European social event. Right now, they were all in the big rectangular ballroom where the huge chandelier dangled above the members of the hall. Bathing the interior with golden warm light as it was reflected by the clear tiles. The curtains tied to the side, revealing the black rainy night which sent shivers to anyone who cared to watch. Classical music filling the hall to suit the grand athmosphere, sounds like Tchaikovsky's Symphony no.6, 'Pathetique'. A long white clothed table at the other side of the hall held various delicacies which satisfies the tastebuds and waiting to fill stomachs of the people present. Paintings of the Renaissance covered the ceilling. Paintings that depicted Greek gods, goddesses and angels on clouds and skies.

Most of the countries had arrived. Roderich conducting the orchestra brought from France. Elizabeta in a hot pink hungarian gown just entered the hall with Vietnam in her emerald ao dai. They were engaged in a conversation. Probably about the ball as their eyes sparkled looking at their surroundings. Gilbert chucking down food at the buffet table together with Gilbird. Ludwig could only put on a scowling face as he watched his brother's terrible manners. The other countries were either socialising or waltzing on the dance floor. Except for Feli though. He was sitting on a chair and watching the dancing people while eating pasta.

Kiku's eyes skimmed the whole hall. Not a sign of the particular black wavy haired lady. Not single tune of her voice was heard. And not a pair of that brilliant electric blue hues had he looked into. The ball has started. Where is she? He strolled leisurely around the hall, calmly analysing the environment. Though in the inside, he resisted the urge to frantically run around and call her name. But doing that would go against his principle to always be calm collected. He saw Arthur conversing over a glass of red wine with Sweden. Kiku thought of asking Arthur about her whereabouts. But that would be awkward. Besides, what were his rights to ask about the Marchioness of Hexham? Who was he to her?

"Ohonhonhon!"

Kiku felt Francis' hand patted his back. He prepared himself mentally for any crap Francis was about to puke out of that annoying french mouth of his.

"Lovely evening Japan." Francis had a bemused look.

Kiku nodded and replied politely. "Indeed Francis."

"No matter how much you try to hide it Japan, you still look a little anxious." Francis knew what was going on inside that head of his companion. "Why don't you ask that pretty jeune femme over there, hmm?"

Kiku swiveled his head towards the entrance. His eyes caught someone familiar with black hair. A smile tugged on his face. His foot lifted to walk towards the lady. And his foot halted suddenly. The lady was Lady (f/n) (l/n). Not Lady (y/n) (l/n). The small smile he had washed out of his face. His brown eyes that glowed a moment ago now dimmed. Francis chuckled at the sight. He patted the japanese man and gestured him towards the Earl of Trent's daughter. Kiku obeyed. (F/n) was someone he could ask about (y/n) without any doubts or hesitations. Besides, isn't it odd that the latter came alone and unacquaintted by her bestfriend?

"Good evening, Lady (f/n)." he bowed a little.

(F/n) offered him a polite smile. "Good evening Kiku. Hadn't I told you to drop the formalities?"

"Forgive me lady- I mean, (f/n). I'm accustomed to formalities ."

"That's alright. You look smart by the way. Your attire." she complimented his full set black navy service uniform.

"Thank you. And you too." Kiku nodded.

(F/n) noticed the way Kiku's eyes flickered away from her for a few moments. She smirked. "(Y/n) will arrived soon. She's battling with her heels and insisted she do it alone."