Nightmares

Dean Winchester didn't sleep much. If it was physically possible, he would prefer not to sleep at all. Because when Dean fell asleep-thats when everything came rushing back to him.

The horrors of hunting.

The trauma of his childhood, and the common abuse from his father.

The utter pain and he is of losing nearly everyone he had ever considered his family and friends.

The fact that he knew people died because of him.

All of the horrible things Dean had done to try and save his little brother.

The memories of his time in hell.

Sleep was not a kind place for the eldest Winchester. It was a necessity that haunted him, and pat of him longed to be an angel like Cas, simply so that he didn't need sleep at all.

Nightmares plagued him constantly. It was no wonder Dean never got more then four hours of sleep. No wonder that he slept with a gun under his pillow.

Well, he used to sleep with the Colt under his pillow, until Cas got ahold of it. But that's a story for another time.

Castiel, of course, never slept. That meant that while the Winchesters were passed out, he had nothing to do. That was why he had taken to watching over Dean as he slept. He didn't mean to be a stalker, but Cas felt it was his job to watch over the hunter when he was in the place that scared him the most- his mind.

Cas started to recognize the signs of Dean's nightmares. Whenever a sign popped up, Cas would rest his hand on the hunter, as if he were a shaking puppy that needed to be comforted. Sometimes, if the nightmare was so bad, Cas would lay down and wrap his arms around the hunter. Dean would unconsciously bury his head into Cas's chest. Sometimes, the Winchester would even wrap his arms around Cas.

The angel assumed that Dean never remembered the moments, so he never had any problem doing it. He liked being so close to Dean, protecting him, making sure he was safe and calm.

Then, one night, Dean started to mumble in his sleep. It happened occasionally, so Cas didn't think much of it until he heard his own name. 

"cas-" the hunter mumbled, his face crinkled like something was wrong. "no."

Cas watched the Winchester, resting his hand on the hunter's shoulder, where his hand-print remained. 

"CaS," Dean's voice was slightly more panicked, and it grew louder.

"I'm right here Dean," Cas whispered, hoping he wouldn't wake up the hunter.

"CAS!" Dean yelled. "LEAVE HIM ALONE! CAS!" Dean thrashed, and Cas quickly wrapped himself around the Winchester. Dean physically relaxed, leaning towards the angel.

"It's okay, Dean." Cas whispered into the hunter's hair. "I'm right here."

"Cas." Dean mumbled again, wrapping his arms around the angel. 

"Everything's alright." 

"Never leave me again." Dean said, his voice more clearer. Cas paused.

"Dean?" He asked, uncertain if the hunter was still asleep.

"I need you, Cas." Dean replied, holding Cas tighter. The angel looked surprised.

"I'm not going anywhere, Dean."  He promised.

"Good." Dean mumbled, falling back asleep.