The Ma'lak box

*WARNING: SEASON 14 SPOILERS*

*feels*

A Ma'lak box.

A box designed to contain anything, even an archangel. 

A virtual coffin, that Dean was determined to lock himself in because somehow life in a coffin at the bottom of the ocean seemed more tolerable then any other option.

But Sam and Cas weren't having it. Not on their watch. And no matter how much Sam beat it into Dean's head, the elder Winchester wouldn't give in. He knew there was no other way, even when his brother had been reduced to tears, even when Sam was literally beating him, trying to make him understand. 

Dean knew it was the only way. And if Sam couldn't get through to Dean, then Cas knew he stood no chance. It didn't stop him from trying though.

The stupid Ma'lak box sat on a table in the bunker. Kept in a dark room because no one wanted to look at it. 

But Dean was looking at it now. Studying the coffin, making sure it was built right.

"Dean," Cas's voice interrupted the hunter's thoughts. 

"Hey Cas," Dean forced a half smile.

"No." Cas shook his head. Dean sighed, already knowing what the angel meant.

"Cas, we've talked about this-"

"Well let's talk about it again."

"There is no other way to stop Michael,"

"Says who?" Cas demanded.

"Billie said-"

"And since when do you listen to Billie?" Cas questioned. "Since when do you listen to what anyone says? Dean, the apocalypse was only supposed to end one way. Michael and Lucifer fight, and millions of people died. And yet you and Sam changed that. You rewrote everything. Why can't we do that again?" Dean stared at the ground, unwilling to meet the angel's eyes.

"Because with the apocalypse, we had a chance." He offered. "It was horrible odds, but we had a chance. We don't have that here, Cas. I can feel it; I can feel Michael crawling away in my head. The only way this ends without Michael destroying the whole world is if I get in that box." He glanced up, pausing as he locked eyes with Cas.

The angel looked so conflicted. He could see it. The pain Cas felt at the idea of letting Dean sacrifice himself again. The anger and sadness. The grief for someone that he had lost before they had even died. And there was something else lingering in Cas's eyes, something Dean didn't recognize. But then the angel glanced away, walking over and resting a hand on the Ma'lak box, examining it.

"I used to have a purpose, you know." Cas admitted. "A job, up in heaven. I was never allowed to pick my path." He smiled ruefully. "You're the one who taught me that there's always a choice. That there's always another way."

"This is the other way." Dean insisted. "Cas, this is all we've got left."

"Our last card to play."

"Exactly. And I know Sam hates me for it, and you do too- but I just need you both to accept it, because I'm doing this Cas, whether anyone likes it or not." Cas looked over at him.

"Then I'll go with you." He declared.

"Cas, no."

"I'm not going to drop you in the ocean and leave you alone with Michael for all eternity, Dean." 

"And what happens when I die?" Dean questioned. "And you're left alone with Michael forever." Cas winced.

"Do you really think Michael would let you die?" He asked, his voice cracking slightly. "Because I know he won't. He'll keep you alive down there, Dean, I know it. He'll make you spend eternity down there with him, until you go completely insane."