The Phone

A/N: Not Destiel

If there was one thing that Jack took after Cas in, it was that they both sucked at taking care of electronics. 

Cas was constantly breaking his phones, whether it was in fights and cases, dropping them, forgetting they weren't waterproof, or he just lost them after a heated encounter with Dean. Whatever it was, Cas was terrible at keeping a phone for longer than a month, and Jack was the same way.

But he had been good with this one! The phone, some cheap off brand iPhone that Sam or Dean had probably stolen anyways, had lasted him a whole year. Sure, the screen was cracked and scratched to shit after a particularly rough wendigo case that involved him getting shoved through a wall, but other than that it had been in perfect condition.

Until.....

Well, until Jack, on a rare occasion, got left by himself and he went outside to try his hand at tree climbing, fell, and the phone completely shattered. 

His dads insisted that it was no big deal that he broke it, all of them having been through dozens of phones over the years. Dean had just pointed him in the direction of a box of older phones, telling him to find one that still worked and to use that until Cas broke another one and they went and got new ones.

Which brings us to now, with Jack sitting cross-legged on the floor, marveling at the old phones and chargers in the box and testing out a few to see if any still worked.

Some of the phones were newer- a couple cracked iPhone rip offs like he'd had- there was one in a bright blue case that he recognized as Maggie's. He knew hers worked, but Jack couldn't bring himself to use it. It got him wondering, though, who all the phones in the box had belonged to.

Because they had to have belonged to someone important to end up in the box. Sam and Dean didn't toss aside perfectly useful phones. Hell, there were six permanently plugged into the wall in the main room, labelled with "FBI" "CIA" "Health Department" and other aliases they needed.  And some of the phones were old too- well, at least, old by Jack's standards. Flip phones and slide phones were basically nonexistent nowadays.

Jack stopped on one of the phones, a charger still plugged into it. He plugged the other end into the wall, hoping it would be one that worked. It was an older, white touch screen phone, and for some reason there was a familiar feeling to it that he couldn't place. Like he'd seen it before, or maybe knew the person who had previously used it.

The screen lit up, and Jack frowned in extreme confusion as he took in the lock screen. It was a picture of smiling purple devil emoji, with a little crown on its head. Jack's frown deepened, worried that the phone might have belonged to Lucifer.

Thankfully, there was no password, so he opened it up, checking to see how it worked and who might be in the contacts already. He tilted his head as he scanned through the contact names, none of them making sense.

"DO NOT ANSWER," Jack read out loud. "Hellhound guy? That Bitch of a Witch? Moose?" He raised an eyebrow. "Not Moose?" On a whim, he called that one, and another phone in the box, one he already tried, started ringing.

Crowley, the caller ID on the other phone read.

Crowley, Jack's thoughts echoed. Who was Crowley? He had heard Sam, Dean, and Cas mention the name before, but he'd never really gotten around to asking who the guy was. But if this was Crowley's phone, well, then Jack knew better than to ask his address. 

But being a small child and a general good-natured snoop, Jack opened up the photos of Crowley's phone, thinking it would give him more insight into what the man had been like. But the first picture he saw raised more questions than it answered.