Christmas at the Bunker

Cas was sitting in the bunker's library when Mary Winchester, of all people, approached him.

"Hi Castiel," She smiled. Cas smiled back.

"Hello." He still wasn't exactly sure what he was to address Mary as. Mrs. Winchester seemed far too formal, and yet Mary felt too informal. 

He'd have to ask Dean later how to properly address her. Dean would know.

Mary sat down across from him, fiddling with her hands, looking slightly uncomfortable.

"Is something wrong?" Cas asked, tilting his head. Mary sighed.

"It's just...." She trailed off, thinking. "You've spent many years with my boys, haven't you?"

"Yes." Castiel confirmed. He'd been with the Winchester for several years, as a friend, and as a brother. A brother to Sam, that is. 

Dean was a little different.

"Well, what do they normally do for the holidays?" Mary asked. "Because Thanksgiving came and went, and they never even mentioned it, but now Christmas is coming, and they haven't said a word about it." Mary sighed again. "And I don't know if they have any traditions for Christmas, or even what I should get them."

Cas thought for a minute. In all the years he had been with Sam and Dean, Christmas had very rarely been mentioned. All holidays in general had usually been discarded, with the exception of their birthdays, of course. Dean hated his birthday, they knew, but Sam always ignored that fact and made sure he and Cas got Dean a present, just as Dean would make Cas get Sam a present and bake him a cake or something for Sam's birthday.

"I don't think they celebrate the holidays." Cas admitted. Dean had told him once about the pathetic little Christmas that he and Sam had had the year before Dean went to hell. They're thrown up crappy decorations in a motel room, drank beer, and swapped mediocre gifts they bought at a gas station.

And yet, that Christmas sounded like one of Dean's favorite memories.

"They rarely celebrate anything." Cas went on. "Thanksgiving is mentioned by Dean sometimes, but that's only on the day after the holiday, when he goes to the store and buys all the half-off pies. And I've never seen them celebrate Christmas- I don't think they have in years."

"But surely when they were boys, John would give them some sort of Christmas, wouldn't he?" Mary asked. Cas made a face and she dropped her head.

It was difficult, he imagined, for Mary to have to hear how awful of a parent John had really been.

"Not this year." Mary declared suddenly. "I'm giving my boys the Christmas they deserve."

"I'm not sure that's a wise idea-" Cas started.

"Screw wise ideas, I think we should celebrate the best holiday there is. Will you help me?" Cas paused. Dean would probably like the idea of him getting along and spending time with Mary....

But if she went all out into a holiday frenzy, the Winchesters might panic.

Maybe Cas should help her, just to make sure she didn't overwhelm them.

"Okay," he agreed. He frowned. "Although I don't understand how my half brother's birthday is the best holiday there is."

*~*~*~*~*~*

Dean raised his eyebrows as he walked into the main room of the bunker, where there was a tree.

Mary had a bunch of boxes spread out on the table, and was smiling. Cas was holding more boxes, looking confused and slightly nervous.