Prisoners Part 2

Set in AU

It was visiting day at Lawrence Penitentiary. While people could come and see prisoners every day of the week for a short time under restricted visiting hours, Visiting Day was special. You could spend all day with a visitor if you wanted, and for all the prisoners that had good behavior, like Dean Winchester and Cas Novak, they let you sit in the same room and talk. No glass divider, no phones to hear each other. You could hug someone, hold hands, be closer, have a normal conversation and forget that one person was a prisoner.

For the guys who had husbands and wives, parents, and kids on the outside, it was the best because they got to be closer with their families. It was Dean's favorite day of the year, better than Christmas in this place.

He got to hug his brother on Visiting Day.

It was the one day Sam never missed, no matter where he was. He'd visit rarely for the rest of the year, but he always showed up on Visiting Day.

It was a sadder day for prisoners like Crowley, who never got visitors. They didn't get the extra freedoms others did.

As the prison guards went cell by cell, pulling out everybody who had a visitor today, Cas wasn't particularly looking forward to spending the whole day in the cell with just Crowley. He knew Dean would be gone all day. He'd been raving about Visitor Day for weeks, unable to contain his excitement.

Cas still wasn't quite sure what Dean had done to get put in jail, but whatever it was, Dean didn't seem to regret it. He was the happiest guy in the prison. Cas wasn't sure what that said about him, but he didn't really care.

He liked Dean. He liked Dean a lot. Dean was still the only person he talked to. They'd spend hours at night after Crowley fell asleep just talking about everything under the sun. Cas liked to think Dean liked him too. They were definitely closer than any of the other prisoners were. 

Benny stopped in front of their cell, the door sliding open. 

"Winchester," He nodded. Dean's face lit up. He knew Sam was coming, but there was always the small doubt in the back of his mind that Sam might not come. The confirmation that his brother had shown up just made him even happier. But the guard didn't move on after Dean ran out. 

"Novak," He said. Cas's eyes widened in surprise. Who the hell would visit him? Crowley looked especially bitter as he walked out, leaving him behind.

"Who's visiting you?" Dean asked cheerfully as they were shuffled along.

"Don't know," Cas whispered. While he talked to Dean, he didn't say much, and he was still very quiet.

"Maybe it's one of your siblings." Dean guessed. "Or your parents?" Cas shook his head.

"No parents." He admitted. "And siblings don't care."

"An old friend then?" Cas shrugged.

"Don't have friends." 

"Well that's a lie," Dean nudged him with a smile. "You've got me." Cas smiled.

"You're different," 

"True. But I still count as your bestie, so too bad."

They were both taken to the Visiting room with the rest of the well behaved prisoners. People's various loved ones stood awkwardly around. Wives with children, old parents, best friends, girlfriends, lawyers, the list went on. 

Cas scanned the room, unsure, whereas Dean practically bounced across the room, barreling into a tall mooseish man with long hair. Cas tilted his head. He hadn't expected Sam to be so tall. Dean always made him sound like a small child that needed to be protected at all costs.