A Smile And A Laugh

There's just something that always gets them. Something that either Dean or Cas does that makes the other one just stop and stare, unable to believe how much they are utterly in love with each other.

For Cas, it's Dean's smile. All of his smiles.

From the big, face cracking grins when he sees an old friend to the shy little smirks after he makes a joke nobody laughed at. It's always the smile. Because when Dean grins, his whole expression changes. His eyes light up and happiness rushes through him and the look on his face just fills Cas with joy.

Because that's how he wants Dean to look every day. He wants to make Dean feel that way all the time.

Cas's favorite smile is the lazy one. The sleepy shy smile that Dean makes when he's barely awake, but he knows Cas is laying beside him. The lazy grin that slowly creeps across his face before he even opens his eyes. The peaceful expression on his face, before his mind wakes up and remembers anything awful. The blissful, carefree smile that Dean doesn't even realize he makes.

Cas's favorite smile was the first time he really saw it. When Dean had dragged him out of a brothel, and he just burst out laughing, thinking it was the funniest thing. Cas wasn't sure what he had done to please Dean, but he was glad that he did. Because Dean smiled at him, a broad, true smile that had laughter lingering in it. A smile just for Cas, and nobody else. It's this smile, this expression, that Cas always thinks of first whenever he thinks of Dean. He thinks of him happy first, blissfully happy, before he remembers everything else about the man.

Dean's smile is Cas's favorite part of all of humanity.

For Dean, it's Cas's laugh.

The angel laughs so rarely, but when he does, it makes Dean's whole day, no matter what crap has gone down. Because it's almost like Cas has no idea how to laugh. The very action confuses the angel, and he doesn't understand why he makes the sound, but his confusion only makes Dean love it even more.

He loves the way Cas's face scrunches up before a loud HA! echoes throughout the room. The way Cas's eyes glitter mischievously, and he smiles, confused yet happy.

Dean's favorite laugh is when Cas is unable to stop. When the angel catches the giggles, and his shoulders shake and his face is a mess and Dean's not even sure if he can breathe anymore, but Cas doesn't care because he's laughing too hard. It almost sounds like a cackle, when Cas really laughs. His deep voice gets higher and his laugh is broken up until he sounds like an old cartoon witch. The noise fills Dean's ears and makes him laugh too, because Cas's laugh is infectious and it's impossible not to. 

Dean's favorite laugh was when they were too tired to do anything else. They had been driving back from a late hunt, a tough fight, and Dean had made some stupid joke he didn't even remember anymore. But for some reason, out of hysterics or otherwise, Cas had laughed. A long, frantic laugh until the angel was covering his face with his hands, his shoulder's bouncing up and down as he was unable to stop. The sound was better than music to Dean's ears, and he decided then that it was his favorite sound.

Cas's laugh is the sound that fills Dean's heaven.

There are hundreds of things the two love about each other. Little things and big things. Quirks and habits they don't know they have, problems they are ashamed of. Dean and Cas love each other through and through, but if asked, it's always too easy to pick a favorite.

A smile and a laugh.

Two signs of happiness.

Because Dean and Cas are never happier then when they are with each other.