Unspoken

Dean and Cas's relationship was kind of an unspoken thing. It never needed to be mentioned because everybody just knew.

Sam had known for years that his brother was sneaking out to see the angel, that Cas was over the moon for Dean, and that Dean was painfully in love with the angel in return.

Sam and Dean had never once mentioned the relationship to each other though. Sam didn't think he had to ask about it. It was just something that happened. Dean, in return, never bothered telling his brother about the relationship because he knew Sam had a brain. Anyone could see it.

Jack knew too. He was still unfamiliar with exactly how relationships involving love worked, especially since every couple he had come across had been very unusual. But he knew that Dean cared more about Castiel then anybody else could, and that Cas would do anything for Dean.

Mary took a little bit longer to catch on. Granted, she had shown up in the middle of the relationship, not having been there for the years of tension that Sam had put up with before the two finally cracked and started dating. But eventually, Mary started to notice the looks that Dean would give the angel. She'd notice the little smile on the serious angel's face when Dean would talk. She noticed how they always stayed as close to each other as they possibly could. But the thing that made it dawn on her was the little smirk Dean had when he watched Cas. Mary recognized that look anywhere. It was the same little smirk John used to give her.

None of them ever talked about it. They didn't joke or tease about it. It was just there. Nobody needed to say anything.

They didn't mention how Cas would spend the nights in Dean's room or how his hair would be more messed up than usual when he left it. They didn't talk about how the angel would occasionally be seen in the bunker in an old T-shirt and jeans, both stolen from the hunter, or how Dean's breath would catch in his throat and he was stare twice as hard anytime he saw Cas in that outfit.

Sam never pointed out the days where Dean had been sporting Cas's tie while they were on a case.

Jack never said anything about how Cas would be so focused in his work, and then abandon it all the second Dean called.

Mary never bothered to ask her son about the details of the relationship, or why Dean's face would light up at the sight of the angel.

Sam, Jack, and Mary never talked about it. They just watched.

They watched Dean and Cas be in love and happy with each other, and they didn't mention it because they didn't want to get in the way. There was so little happiness in the hunting life- it was nice to just see somebody happy for once.

It was nice to see Cas instantly volunteer to go with Dean, no matter where he was going.

It was nice to see Dean wrap an arm around the angel in a diner booth, not even realizing he was doing it.

Sam liked watching his brother smile. After so many years of pain, he was afraid his brother had forgotten how to do that. But Cas brought the smile back, and Sam was grateful for that.

Jack liked watching them in general. He was still learning about love, but he thought Cas and Dean were a good example. The way they adored each other. The way they would fight, but always make up and forgive one another.

Mary liked watching them talk. The way that Dean would smile, and Cas would laugh, and their hands would linger on each other.

They never talked about Dean and Cas's relationship. They didn't have to. 

Because everyone already knew.