What's More Important? Your Mission, or Your Family?

A/N: Set after the events of 12x12, Stuck in the Middle (With You)

Dean, Sam, Cas, and Mary stormed back into the bunker.

It was shortly after the hunt that had gotten Wally killed, and had nearly gotten Cas killed too, if Crowley hadn't stepped in.

The ride back to the bunker had been deathly silent. Mary knew she had messed up, but she got the feeling that Dean didn't really want to hear an apology. Sam stayed quiet, knowing that his brother was furious, and extremely conflicted at the moment, and he knew better then to send him over the edge. Cas had just settled into the backseat and shut his eyes. Sure, he was fine now, but nearly dying took a toll on anyone, and the angel needed some rest. He couldn't sleep, but he could relax in silence. Dean just focused on driving, his hands clenching the steering wheel hard enough that his knuckles went white. Occasionally, he'd glance at the backseat, just to make sure Cas was alright. He exchanged a quick glance with Sam, but didn't once look anywhere near Mary.

No music, no talking, nothing. Just the sound of the old car and the road for long hours until they got back to the bunker and everyone filed out.

Sam sighed as they walked in. 

"Well that was.... something," He concluded. 

"That's one way to put it," Cas offered, trying to smile. Dean eyed the angel, worry lingering in his eyes. The angel had almost died in front of them, and Cas was positive no one had forgotten his little speech, either. 

"Cas-" Dean started.

"I'm fine," Cas retorted, already knowing what the Winchester was going to say.

"You should rest, though. Take it easy." Dean insisted. Cas never stopped to rest, and it was about damn time he did in Dean's opinion.

"I'm fine." Cas repeated. Dean sighed.

"Come on," He took the angel by the arm and led him out of the room, leaving Sam and Mary alone.

".....Was it worth it?" Sam questioned.

"What?" Mary asked.

"Was it worth it?" He repeated. "Whatever you stole. Was it worth the fact that we all nearly died, and one good hunter did?"

"Sam-"

"Just answer the question."

"...Yes." Mary admitted. "I believe it was worth it. I have to." Sam studied his mother's face.

"Yeah, well, I don't think everybody's going to share that opinion." He warned.

"You're not seriously going to blame ME for this, are you?"

"I'm not blaming you for anything." Sam retorted. "I'm just warning you."

"Warning me of what?" Sam stared.

"Cas nearly died, Mom. Now, that may not seem like a big deal to you, but it is to us. And I may be able to overlook that and just walk away from all this without a word because frankly, I don't care. But Dean? He's not going to let this go so easily."

"Why not?"

"Because it's CAS."

"He's just an angel, Sam." The moose fought back a laugh.

"Not to Dean, he's not." He declared. "And not to me either."

As if to prove him wrong, Mary turned and headed for Dean's room. Sam sighed and followed, knowing that this probably wasn't going to end well.

******

Dean had taken Cas into his room, and he forced the angel to lay down and rest, despite Cas's protests.