Crowley

A/N: Kinda sad, not really Destiel, but good in my opinion.

Crowley took a liking to Dean Winchester. Everyone knew that, but no one quite knew the reason why.

It was because Dean Winchester reminded Crowley a bit of himself. Not of the King of Hell, but of Fergus McCleud, the man he used to be.

And no one ever knew the real story of Fergus McCleud.

When he was a young man, still human, Crowley fell in love. Not with a girl, not with a guy, but with an angel. It was extremely rare, and the two knew they would never be able to fully be together, but Crowley didn't care. He had done some bad things in his life, but it was worth it, he thought, to be with his angel. To be happy.

But then one day his angel had to leave. Had to return back to heaven, never to see Crowley again. It broke the poor man's heart.

Crowley didn't sell his soul for what everyone thinks he did. He sold his soul for the promise that when he died, he could go to heaven and be with the angel he loved forever. He thought it was the only way he'd get into heaven.

He was wrong, and the demon he dealed with lied to him. Tricked him. Took him to hell when he died, not heaven.

Furious, Crowley was turned into a demon. He killed the creature he had sold his soul to, and took his place as a crossroads demon. Worked his way up the ranks, because they wouldn't tell you anything about heaven if you were just some nobody.

But the thing that stung Crowley the most was that his angel never came for him. He waited in hell, waited for years, decades, and nobody came for him. No one came to save him, not even the angel he loved most. The angel he thought had loved him.

Crowley became King of Hell, and he built his throne on hatred and despair, pieces of his broken heart woven into how he ruled the miserable place.

He watched humanity. He watched heaven, although he never heard a word on his angel. And then one day, a new damned soul arrived in hell.

A man named Dean Winchester.

Sure, Crowley knew all about him. He didn't really care. Not until he was told that there was an angel storming through hell, searching for him. Searching and murdering demons, trying to get to Dean Winchester.

Crowley let Castiel raise Dean from hell because that's all he wanted someone to do for him. Castiel loved Dean, loved him the way that Crowley's angel never had. The realization that his angel didn't truly love him stung at Crowley, but he accepted it. Turned his attention to the Winchesters and Castiel. Dean and Castiel, who were everything Crowley had wanted to be.

Sure, he treated the boys like dirt sometimes, but then again, he was the King of Hell. He had a reputation to uphold. But Dean was right when he said Crowley had gone soft working with the Winchesters. It was impossible for him not to, when Dean reminded him so much of himself.

Crowley asked once. Just once. He had asked Castiel about his angel, about how he was doing. Cas had stared at him for a long minute, as if it was all clicking in his head now.

"He's dead." Castiel had admitted. "But when he was alive, he never stopped thinking about the human he cared for."

"If he cared so much, why didn't he save him?" Crowley asked.

"The human would've gone to heaven. He wouldve made sure of it. But then he sold his soul and condemned himself to hell without even realizing it." Castiel explained vaguely. "He thought the human didn't want to be saved."

"Dean didn't want to be saved." Crowley whispered.

"I didn't care about that." Cas offered. "I couldn't bring myself to leave him in that place."

Crowley's angel hadn't care enough to risk it and save him. Somehow that stung worse.

"I know you don't like me much," Crowley had begun one day, talking to Dean. "I know you won't want to hear this, but you remind me a lot of myself." Dean snorted.

"I'm nothing like you." He shot back.

"You're right. You're not." Crowley agreed. "You're better. You have a chance where I didn't." He looked at the hunter. "Don't make the same mistakes I made, Dean. Just tell the angel you love him, or one day, he won't bother saving you from hell."

Crowley sacrificed himself because he felt he had nothing left. He did it, not only for the Winchesters, but so that Dean could go back to Castiel. So that at least one of their stories could have a happy ending.

But Dean never knew he wasn't the first human to fall in love with an angel.

Nor would he be the last.