Healing

It's been a few years since the Winchesters left the hunting life. Since Dean and Cas got married and decided to live that apple pie life that Dean had wanted for so long. 

They're not completely out of the life of the supernatural, of course. They can't be. The Impala's trunk is still stashed full of weapons, as is the locked basement of Dean and Cas's house. There are devil's traps under the Welcome mats of their homes, salt circles around their properties, just in case. 

Sam's a lawyer now, and half of his cases are hunters that are being accused of murder. He always finds a way to get them out of jail, one way or another. 

Dean's a mechanic, carrying on all the lessons Bobby taught him about fixing cars. Cas works at the Gas n Sip in town. He always liked the job.

But now the Winchester's lives are about to change once again.

Cas and Dean debated for years about growing their family. It was so easy to get pulled back into the hunting life, and they didn't want to raise another innocent kid in that kind of life. But eventually they worked up the nerve, and decided to introduce a new Winchester to the world.

But there were so many options. Cas ruled out adoption, insisting that the Winchester line needed to be continued, and they both knew that Sam wouldn't have any children. He'd be lucky if he could keep a girlfriend alive for a year.

So they settled on a surrogate mother. A woman who would have a baby for them. Biologically, it would be Dean's child, because Cas didn't want to complicate matters any further with a Nephilim. 

And the system had worked, and now it was nine months later and Cas and Dean were stuck in a hospital waiting room.

Waiting. 

And Dean was not exactly a patient person.

"Relax," Cas advised, resting his hand on Dean's knee in the hopes that Dean would quit bouncing his leg in anticipation.

"What if something goes wrong?" Dean asked. 

"Nothing is going to go wrong." Cas assured him.

"How do you know?"

"Because everyone is perfectly healthy, and I see nothing that could go wrong. There were no abnormalities." While they didn't venture into the supernatural side of things often, Cas found that his simple healing abilities came in handy quite often. He could diagnose people just by looking at them. He could smell infections, and heal nearly anything with a single touch. 

"Well, if you know so much, then is it a boy or a girl?" Dean questioned. They didn't know for sure.

"Not saying," Cas smiled.

"Oh, so you DO know!"

"Possibly."

"You have no idea, do you?"

"Maybe I do, maybe I don't." Dean gave a long suffering sigh and then checked his watch. 

".....How much longer do you think we'll be here?"

"Several hours."

"Well that's nice."

"Childbirth is a long and painful process, Dean."

"I bet waiting is more painful." Cas snorted.

"Sure. You just keep thinking that." Dean poked at his husband.

"Well, what are we supposed to do while we wait anyways? Just sit here with our thumbs up our asses?"

"Have you called Sam yet?"