Normal?

It had been a few years since the Winchesters had retired from hunting, content to living a normal life- or, as normal a life as they could get. The boys became like Bobby, and had several phones in their houses should a hunter ever need a hand. They'd still occasionally go on hunts, but not often.

Dean took advantage of this normal life, and he and Cas got married. They moved into a house- that fact alone shocked Dean. They had a HOUSE. But Cas, of course, didn't act like a normal person. He still wasn't great with his people skills, which led to several awkward encounters with Dean's neighbors and if He people in their small town.

Castiel, Dean had discovered, was hard to explain to other people. He tried his bed to come up with logical explanations that people would believe, and he was surprisingly good at it. This meant, unfortunately, that Cas was labeled with a LOT of issues.

"He's an insomniac," He'd tell the neighbors who saw him wandering around at night.

"He's special needs," He'd whisper to the people who would look at Cas strangely as the angel stared at him.

"He's off his medication," Dean would insist, every time Cas would do something out of the ordinary.

"He's a very picky eater and doesn't do well with resturant food," He'd explain to the waitresses when Cas didn't order anything.

"He has Aspergers," Was a common one also to explain Cas's awkwardness at social interactions.

"He's not a pedophile, I swear." Dean proclaimed when Cas had been sitting at the park, and a mother had gotten very concerned about him staring at the children and had called the police. "He just... he's a little slow, you know? And kinda like a giant five-year old." Dean explained to the police officer that had shown up. Cas, in the background, was watching a butterfly with an awed expression on his face.

The officer got the message, and Dean sighed as he dragged Cas home once again.

"Dean," Cas began.

"Yes Cas?"

"How come, as a hunter, I'm normal, but as an average human, I have so many issues?"

"Well, angel," Dean sighed. "Normal people don't like strange as much as hunters do."

"I miss being normal." Dean laughed, smiling at his husband.

"Oh Cas," he shook his head fondly. "We've never been normal."