Realization

"This is so delicious El." They all sat around the bonfire enjoying a homemade recipe. Elnathan made good ol' sandwich.

"It's our mother's recipe." He stated proudly as he turned the meat, careful not to get it burnt.

"The heat has to be just right. Nathan wrap it up."

"Aye aye sir." Nathan started lacing the meat into an already toasted bread, with tomatoes, lettuce and onion rings .

"I gotta hand it to you El, you've outdone yourself." Asher said in between bites.

"Why thank you." He said taking a little bow. The air was cool and everyone sat in comfortable silence enjoying their sandwiches.

They were leaving first thing the next morning and although Rose didn't seem to notice, they were all looking at her.

She'd been the reason they'd organized the trip in the first place and they were all relieved to know that it had been worth it.

"Hear ye, hear ye. Everybody listen up." Nathan called out standing up, tapping tapping the squire against the plastic cup he was holding.

"I would like to propose a toast to a well spent summer and great friends." He extended the cup to everyone, who nodded their heads while holding their own cups filled with lemonades courtesy of Chloe.

"And as it is said in Job, a three-fold cord is not easily broken. May we all share a lasting bond between us." He toasted to Rose in particular.

"Cheers."

"Cheers!" Everyone said.

"I'll drink to that." Elnathan said hitting his cup with his brother.

"Cheers." Rose said smiling to herself. She could not express how she felt in that moment, a profound acceptance she never thought she'd ever have. They made her feel like she belonged.

Soon everyone was dancing round the bonfire, singing, laughing. It was heart warming and she didn't want to be anywhere else. But after a heartfelt dance, her legs grew tired. She sat back down on the log and looked on smiling as Nathan showed Chloe the different stunt he'd learnt on Youtube.

Rose chuckled. That was so like Nathan. His brother shook his head questioning his relation to him.

It wasn't long after she heard slow footsteps coming her way. They seemed hesitant, nervous even.

She looked up and she couldn't fight the blush that graced her cheeks. It was Michael. They'd been avoiding each other since the volleyball incident.

"Hey."

"Hi." She replied.

"Um, can I have a sit?" He said motioning to the sit beside her.

"Of course." There was silence for a while before he spoke again.

"About this evening, I'm sorry I-" He cleared his throat and she could faintly see a light blush dusting his cheeks.

He looked so cute nervous that she couldn't help but let out a chuckle. He raised an eyebrow when he heard her chuckle, a smile dancing on his lips as well.

"What?"

"Oh, nothing." Rose looked forward, away from him so he wouldn't see her obvious smile.

He looked at her and noticed how her cheeks would fill up when she smiled and how beautiful her laugh sounded.

Her eyes, they were so big and bright that he found that he almost never could look away.

As she turned her head back to face him, with that same smile still plastered on her face, his eyes widened as he realised something with dread; his erratic heartbeat attesting to the fact.