Aaron.

They were in the cafeteria eating whatever was served by the lunch lady. It was filled with the usual chatter and gossip.

Two girls passed by their tables.

"Did you know that Adam's cousin got killed in the tsunami?" A girl said to her overly enthusiastic friend.

"Oh my God. That is so terrible." A coffee haired girl exclaimed beside them.

Rose gasped. She knew him, the boy that got killed. Adam's cousin, Bryan.

Rose looked at the wide cluster of students in the cafeteria. It was all everyone was talking about.

She lowered her eyes. Bryan had been her only friend besides Brenda, but he'd transferred at the end of junior year, two years ago.

Without her knowing, tears had gathered at the corner of her eyes.

The two girls from earlier sat down behind them.

"What is it, love?" Chloe asked in concern, noticing her silence. Everyone turned to her.

"I'm good. I just knew the guy they were talking about is all." Rose answered quietly.

Adam, the cousin of the deceased was nowhere in sight, Rose glanced around trying to find his whereabouts.

She'd have missed him had she not seen him leave the cafeteria in a hurry.

She didn't notice the concerned looks the guys were giving her.

"Excuse me, I'll be right back." Rose got up and headed quickly to where she last saw the dark-haired jock.

Michael got up to ask what was going on but Asher stopped him.

"Let her go." Michael looked at Asher for a second before glancing back at the retreating form of Rose.

He sighed before nodding.

Rose saw Adam at the end of the hallway and ran after him and he stopped when she called out to him. Adam blinked twice before his eyes widened slightly in recognition.

"Rose?" Adam had been her friend too once upon a time. She'd always seen him around Bryan's home when she'd visit. He'd always been the most outgoing among them all.

He was popular now, no surprise there though. He was a genius and a born athlete. It was the ignoring that followed that hurt.

Adam looked at her expectantly, his dark quiff brushed to the side. She walked towards him and stopped in front of him.

His eyes were slightly tinged red. He'd been crying.

"Well? I haven't got all day. What do you want?" Adam asked gruffly.

Rose cleared her throat.

"I heard about Bryan." He rolled his eyes.

"Everyone's heard." He leaned against a locker and folded his arms. She saw the pain etched on his face as clear as day.

"I'm sorry." Her voice croaked as she said it and he looked at her surprised. He leaned off the locker sighing before wiping his face down with his palms.

"You know, I've heard that a lot today but yours is the only one that sounds remotely genuine." His bloodshot eyes stared appreciatively down at her.

Rose hugged him. He stiffened at first, his eyes widening before relaxing and hugging her back.

"Thank you." He said gratefully. Rose felt his pain through the hug and even more so in his words. Then he added playfully.

"Roro." She gasped, hitting him lightly on his chest.