Feelings.

They both enjoyed their cones in a nearby park. They talked for a while enjoying each other's company.

The sun was setting now and the cones were long gone by then.

The sun's glow hit her face and she looked like an angel. Michael seemed to notice everything about her from the shape of her eyes, to her nose, to her lips.

She was perfect, beautiful. The thing inside his chest that filled up every time she was around was filling up more each day and very soon he didn't know if he would be able to contain it.

There has always been a need to protect her, but it'd grown ten times more in the past few days. He didn't know if he could keep his rapidly growing feelings hidden anymore, if she hadn't noticed them already.

Rose had been talking all the while and she realized that he hadn't even been listening as he was distracted, but she didn't know that the object of his distraction was her.

She turned when she heard no reply from him and when she did, a sudden ripple went through her.

She had never seen anyone look at her the way he was at the moment. It was unadulterated affection clearly displayed for her to see.

She couldn't look away, it was like the ice blue orbs froze her in place.

She couldn't look away and neither did he.

Michael looked closely into her eyes and saw her emotions. He saw fear, anxiety and-

His eyes widened with a realization that a part of her felt things too, for him.

She was an open book as you could tell what she was feeling a mile away.

Her heart pounded fiercely in her chest and nothing she did slowed it down. What was this?

She looked away, finally breaking the connection, her heart in her throat.

They both sat there for what felt like an eternity in silence not knowing what to say.

The drive home wasn't very long and they talked about everything other than what happened that evening between them.

After parking the car in front of her house, he walked her to the door. She bounced on the ball of her feet knowing they would part soon.

"I had an amazing summer, definitely going on my list of best vacations ever." Rose said, chuckling. He smiled.

"Mine too." She knocked on the door and she could faintly hear her mum coming down from the stairs.

"So, I'll see you in school Monday?" Today was the last Friday before school started.

"Rose, I'm your next door neighbor. You'll see me everyday." Michael said with a smile.

Rose smiled at that.

"Right. Oh and thanks for helping me with my bags."

He took a bow.

"We aim to please." She chuckled.

"Goodnight Mike." She bided.

"Goodnight Rose." Michael's gaze lingered on hers awhile before he turned and headed back to his car.

"Mike?" Rose didn't know why she chose that moment to call him, but all she knew was that she wanted to.

Before she could chicken out, she walked down the steps to where he stood with a questioning look on his face.

And before he could open his mouth to speak, she'd reached up on her tippy toe to give him a kiss on the cheeks

"Thank you." She smiled up at him before turning back and walking up the stairs leaving Michael too stunned to say anything.

The door took that time to open and she walked in only turning around briefly with a smile before the door closed.

"Did that just happen?" Michael asked the wind, dazed. He waited for a while longer staring at the spot she stood not one minute ago.

Then he shook his head smiling before heading back to his car. He drove through the driveway to their garage. He got down the car and took out his bags.

"Dad I'm home!" He said chirpily.

"Welcome son." The man who could easily pass for an older double walked in holding a can of malt.

Michael dropped the bags to hug his dad.

"Whoah, someone's happy." His father chuckled, raising an eyebrow at his soon to be nineteen year old son.

"I guess I am." Michael said, the goofy smile still pasted on his lips.

"I'll take it summer was a blast then. Who's the lucky girl?" Michael's eyes widened the size of saucers as he began sputtering.

"G-Girl? I don't know what you're talking about." He took his bag and began heading upstairs.

"Uhn uhn." His father made disbelieving sound.

He watched as his son stop by the table for a drink.

He'd never seen his boy blush, never, not even when he should. He'd also never seen him that happy before. The girl must be very special.

"So what's her name?"

"You don't have to know Dad." His father smiled. So there is a girl afterall.

"Is it Rose?" Michael chocked on the bottle of water he'd been quietly sipping, eyes wide.

He coughed and his father only laughed hitting him on the back to get rid of the water in his lungs.

"Why don't you go drop your bags and come on down for some lasagna."

Michael coughed again hitting his chest with his fist.

"Sounds good." His father chuckled, shaking his head. He'd been the same sputtering mess when he'd met his mother.

He quickly head on to his room, there was no way he was sticking around the living room any longer than he should. It'd be so embarrassing to talk about girls with his father, especially when the girl was Rose.

Michael sighed closing the door to his room.

Was it so obvious?

He dropped his bag on the bed and laid down beside it. He folded his arms behind his head and steered at the ceiling, his mind drifted to her again.

He didn't even know when the corner of his mouth pulled into a small smile.

This was different from what he'd felt in the past. He was ashamed to admit it but what had mattered in the past was how attractive you were and how well you lasted.

Some of the girls he'd never even bothered with their names.

He exhaled, what a stupid life he'd led and what a complete waste of time.

He'd only succeeded in not only hurting those girls but those close to him as well.

He wasn't proud of who he'd been or what he'd done but things were different now. He was different. Rose was different.

And he never wanted to hurt her.
He breathed out closing his eyes.

He really didn't deserve someone like Rose, but God is a God of second chances, he knew that much and for which he would be forever grateful.

He heard her voice and he turned his head.

He stared at the window, she was singing.

He smiled and closed his eyes and allowed himelf to sleep.

Stay tuned for more.✌