Part 3~ Hurting

"Lina, I think I just got myself a job!" I shout into the phone.

"What?! Where?! When?! How?!" she squeals on the other end.

"Well, I bumped into an old friend and turns out he is friends with an actor," I frown, "I was so excited, I forgot to ask who. But anyways, I got a job on set as a makeup artist!"

Lina begins to rant and speak incoherently so I just 'mhmm' and 'aha' my way through it.

"Holy shit, this is incredible! Which movie?!"

I wince, "I forgot to ask..."

"Corinna. How the heck do you forget to ask where you're working at?"

"Like I said, I was too ecstatic! Besides, I have his number and all, he'll call me when I should come in."

"That's great and all, but--" Lina continues to speak as I turn around to Xavier standing behind me, arms crossed over his chest.

I jump, "hey Lina. I gotta go, talk to you later."

"COR--"

"Xav, I thought you were in the shower," I pant.

My breath quickens and I feel beads of sweat fall down the sides of my head. Being around Xavier makes me nervous and not in the good way. The way his eyes pierce through me seems cruel and menacing. I feel sick to the stomach.

"And now I'm out," he chuckles but it is harsh and dry, "what is this about you getting a job?"

I immediately lighten up, "oh, Xavier. It was like fate! I saw a friend who I had I fell out touch with and--"

"-- is this friend male?" he cuts me off.

I frown, "why does it matter?"

He step towards me and grabs my face. It seems he meant it as a romantic gesture, but the way he places his hands on me is brutal. It sent messages to me that make me uncomfortable.

"You know how I feel when you hang around guys," he pouts.

I scoff and push his hands off of me, "Xavier, he's a friend. I would never force you to cut off any female ties."

He laughs that dry laugh again and turns to face the wall and places his hands on it.

"After all I've given you, you still have the audacity to disrespect me."

"Hey," I walk over to him, "I'm not disrespecting you, I didn't mean for it to come out that way. I just want an equal relationship."

"You want an equal relationship?" he growls, "how about you start paying?"

"Back to his again? Xav, I pay the bills, I buy the groceries... what else do you want me to do?!" I raise my voice a little.

He brings his hand to my face and slaps me. I fall to the floor and scream as the pain scorches my face. I look up at him n shock. He's fuming, his face completely red. 

He crouches down and points his finger at me accusingly, "don't you ever speak to me like that again."

Xavier storms out the door and a tear slides down my cheek. I wipe it again and hurry to the bathroom, and slam the door shut behind me. I lock it in case he comes back, lean against the cool, tiled wall and slide down to the floor. I sit and bury my face in my knees and cry until it feels like I've emptied all of the tears from my body. I then feel my phone vibrate against my stomach. I pull it out in outrage, expecting a typical apology message from Xavier, but it isn't. When I look down, it's a text from Harrison.

Hey, Corinna. Are you available later today? The crew wants to meet you :)

A smile grows slyly on my face. I sniffle and wipe the tears left on my face. I text back almost instantly.

I was born ready ;)