Part 23~ Feelings

Because it's Saturday, everyone finishes a little earlier so we can continue with our Saturday night plans. I run into the bedroom and pull out a bunch of my clothes to sort through what I should wear when my phone starts to ring.

I pick up, "hello?"

"Corinna," it's my mother, "how are you?"

"Mum!" I say in shock, "I'm fine. How about you?"

"I'm well," she replies.

"Soooo, did you want something or...?"

"Is a mother not allowed to call her daughter every once in a while?" she scoffs, "I was calling to congratulate you on your role, which by the way you didn't tell me about. I had to find out online!"

I roll my eyes, "so you were calling for something. And thanks... I guess."

I sort through the clothes, tossing them to the side as I go.

"Are you busy?" she asks.

"I'm about to go on a date."

She gasps, "a date? But you just broke up with Xavier! And you've just gotten a job and—"

"—mum. He's Italian," I sigh.

She squeals on the other end, "Gianni! Our girl is going out with un ragazzo Italiano!"

"Mum," I say, "I'm going to leave now."

"Wait, but—" I hang up.

I look at the pile of clothes and toss the jeans to the side. I'm not wearing jeans to a date. I pick up the dresses I have, take one look at them, exaggerate a barf and toss them to the side.

"Come on!" I groan.

Tom clearly hears the commotion, opens the door and enters, "are you... okay?"

He eyes the mess on the floor and I moan as I flop onto the floor, "I don't know what to wear."

"Could I, um, I don't know... help?"

I gesture towards the pile, "be my guest."

He kneels down and pulls out a dress and holds it up, "how about this?"

I shake my head, "I wore that on my first date with Xavier. I should probably throw that out."

I snatch it out from his grasp and throw it into the rubbish bin in the room.

"Okay then..." he says, picking up a skirt, "how about this and... this!"

He holds together a complete outfit which is actually pretty decent. A white silk blouse with a teal blue miniskirt. 

"Tom, that actually works! You are an actual lifesaver! Thank you!" I squeal and give him a hug.

He hugs me back, but it is once again, super tense.

"I'll, um, let you get ready," he says and leaves the room.

I frown and spend the next hour doing my makeup and hair.

I throw on a pair of white heels and check myself out in the mirror. I feel pretty.

I walk downstairs and Haz whistles, "damn, you look good. Don't get pregnant tonight!"

I scowl and throw a pillow at him which he narrowly dodges.

Tom looks at me briefly then goes back to looking at his phone and mutters, "you look beautiful."

Haz notices the tension and says, "I'm going to the bathroom," and he walks off.

"You've got a million followers," he says softly.

"No way," I open my Instagram and gasp, "oh crap! I really do. I need to make a video for that so—"

"—don't go on that date tonight, Corinna," Tom interrupts.

I'm lost for words, "w-w-what?"

He stands up, "there's a reason why I broke up with Winnie. Why I've been avoiding you all week. I like you. I said I loved Winnie and that was enough. But when you came into my life and when you opened up to me, I realized it wasn't. I can and I will, have something more than Winnie and me. When Winnie hurt you, it hurt me to see you like that- a lot. I know Andrew is a decent guy, but I can give you more than he can even offer. So please, I'm begging you, don't do it."

I open my mouth to speak, but nothing comes out. My phone buzzes and I look down to see a text from Andrew;

I'm here :)

I look up at Tom awkwardly, "I have a date to get to."

I run out the door and shut it behind me as he stands there in shock.