Part 38~ You're Equal

It's the afternoon of the next day and we're back at the Hollands' for lunch. Tom has been absent all morning.

"Where's Tom?" I wonder aloud.

Nikki frowns, "didn't he go out?"

"The door never opened," Sam says, "I've been sitting here all morning."

I stand up, "let me go check upstairs."

I run up the stairs and the door to one of the bedrooms is slightly open.

"Tom?" I call out.

He mumbles something in response and I enter. He's completely out of it, lying down on his bed. He looks terrible.

I quickly walk over to him, "are you okay?"

"I don't feel so good," he mumbles and sits up.

I smile and shake my head, "that isn't funny. I cried in that scene."

Despite how sick he seems he grins, "you cried?"

"Off topic," I place my hand on his forehead which is abnormally warm, "is there anything else you've been feeling? Any nausea, any stomach pains, any—"

"—Rina?" I stop my rant, "as much as I love this whole Dr. Bianco facade, it's just food poisoning."

"How do you know?" I ask.

He chuckles, "because I've had it before and because the food we had yesterday was nasty."

Oh. I smile and shake my head.

"I'm such a worrier," I laugh.

He smiles at me, "I'll be okay. I just need to rest up for a couple of days."

"This was supposed to be a holiday and you're sick," I pout, "I'm going to the store, I'll buy you some stuff."

"What kind of stuff?" he tilts his head.

I shrug, "chocolate?"

He pumps his fist, "yes! Like Haz always says, why have friends when you can have food?"

"Maybe you need friends to go out and get you food when you're sick?" I retort.

"Yeah," he smiles, "but you're my girlfriend, not my friend."

I smile and kiss his cheek, "I'll be back."

**TOM'S POV**
Rina leaves the room and I feel like shit again. I'm sick but when she was here, I felt so much better. Why have medicine when you can have a Rina?

I lay down and go underneath my covers again.

My mum enters the room, "Corinna told me you're sick. Are you okay?"

"Does it look like it?" I chuckle.

She shakes her head and smiles as she walks over. She sits on the side of my bed and puts her hand on my forehead.

"Yeah, you seem perfectly fine to me," she responds to my sarcasm, "don't use the blanket, you'll only get worse."

I moan as she pulls the covers off of me.

"She's a good one, you know?" mum looks down and smiles.

I nod and smile back, "I know."

We stay silent for a little while. It's a good kind of silence, comfortable.

She pats my leg, "I'll go make you some soup."

She walks to the door and I stop her, "mum?"

She turns back around, "yes, love?"

"How did you know that you loved dad?"

She laughs and sits back down on my bed, "I knew I loved your father when we were on a date. I realised that he was on my mind all day. When I saw him, my whole face lit up. When he wasn't with me, I missed him. When he was with someone else, my whole world came crashing down. When he held my hand, it sent shivers down my spine. And when he said he loved me, it felt wrong to say otherwise."

"That's a very deep answer," I sigh.

She raises an eyebrow and tilts her head, "why? Do you love Corinna?"

I open my mouth to speak but nothing comes out. I think I love Rina, but is it too soon? Does she even love me back?

"If I do, isn't it too soon? I mean, we've only had one official date," I frown.

She shakes her head, "Tom, when you realize that you love someone, it may be only a week into dating or it may be years. You may have only been on one date, but you've known eachother for months. And if she is the one... well, that will make a big difference."

I nod. My mum is good. Just thinking about Rina puts a smile on my face and makes me feel giddy inside.

"Thanks," I say.

She smiles in response and stands up, "don't let this girl go, Tom. I see the way you look at eachother."

"I won't."

She leaves my room and shuts the door, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

**CORINNA'S POV**
I exhale as I knock on the door of the Holland's house again. I stare down into my hands where I hold a box of chocolates and a sausage roll from Gregg's. I remember him saying how much he loves Gregg's in an interview and it was on the way so why not.

Harry opens the door and nods his head towards the lounge, "he's in there."

I thank him and enter the house. This house is more a home than a house. It's more homely than my house ever was. The love and warmth in it is indescribable. I poke my head around the corner to see Tom laying on the couch underneath a blanket, half passed out. Seeing him like this makes me smile and when he hears me approach, his eyes flutter open.

"Did I wake you, sleepy-head?" I laugh.

"I was already awake," he moans and then his eyes widen, "is that... Gregg's?!"

I nod and walk over to him, handing him his food. He lifts his head off the couch to make room but as I go to sit, he plants it on top of my lap.

I lean back and run my fingers through his hair.

"Rina?"

"Mm?" I mumble in response.

Even though I can't see his face, I can tell he's smiling, "thank you again for buying the thing for Paddy. Words cannot explain how happy he is."

"Please stop thanking me," I shake my head and smile to myself, "no amount could ever be enough to see his face light up like that. I'm glad that it made him trust me a little more."

"He always trusted you, it's just... me he didn't trust," he speaks slowly.

I frown, "what do you mean?"

He turns around so I can see his face and he shuts his eyes, "when I dated Winnie, she was so... self-conceited. She never let me have time alone and when I did, I spent it on myself. I hardly called my parents, let alone Pad. So he was very wary of you, worried that I wouldn't have time for him again."

"Tom," my voice comes out barely as a whisper, "please. Never put me before your family like that."

He grabs my hand and puts it in his, "you're equal."

I sigh a sigh of relief and I stroke his hair as he falls asleep.