Part 36~ Gratitude

We're at his family house for breakfast. I'm alone in the lounge room.

I wonder where Tom went... as if on cue, I hear shouting coming from outside. The room has a window looking into the backyard and I have a look. Tom's playing soccer with Paddy. They both look so happy. I smile and rest my forehead against the glass.

I hear noises from the kitchen so I decide to head into there. Nikki is preparing breakfast.

"Need some help?" I pop in.

She smiles, "that's very kind of you Corinna, but you're a guest. Please, sit down!"

"No, I'd really be happy to help," I pick up a tea towel and a glass and begin to dry it.

She sighs, a smile still playing on her face, "Corinna."

I look up at her, still wiping the glass.

"I'd like to talk about Tom," she puts some fried eggs onto a plate and I exhale sharply, "Winnie Sanderson was a huge part of his life. Tom genuinely thought that what they had was love. I met her one time."

"She met you guys?!" I say in shock.

"It was a complete and utter accident. Tom was acting different the few times I called him so I went to surprise him, at his apartment in the States and Winnie was there. I couldn't just leave," she presses her lips together and tears form in her eyes, "she was horrible to him, Corinna. I didn't understand how he thought that was right. He wasn't himself around her and as his mother, this was terrible to watch. He hardly ate, he hardly said a word to me and he just seemed so... lost."

I stammer, "I-I'm so sorry. That sounds terrible."

"Please, don't be sorry," she lightens up a little, "because then you came along. Tom actually called me on daily basis. He ate like beast."

I laugh at this, "he does eat like a beast."

"But most importantly, he found himself again. He became my Tom again. So thank you," a tear slides down her cheek and I feel inclined to hug her, so I do.

"Oh, I'm such a mess," she laughs through her tears, "just know that I am forever in debt to you."

I close my eyes and exhale deeply. I can't let her feel all of this gratitude towards me when I won't be able to express my gratitude.

I gulp and break the hug, "Mrs Hol— Nikki. While it is an honor to be know what good I've done for you, you must know how much your son has done for me."

The expression on her face changes from pain to hopefulness and it urges me to continue.

"Before I met Tom, I was still mourning my brother who took his own life. I ran away from my own family here with my boyfriend and that's one relationship I deeply regret. Xavier was abusive and certain facts about him came to light. He cheated on me with my best friend and I lost the both of them in one night," I laugh at my hopelessness as tears fill my eyes, "after losing my brother, I didn't want to lose anymore people. But I did. And that night, I went in the pouring rain to Tom's apartment expecting Haz to open the door. But he was asleep and the whole night, your son was the one who comforted me. He was the one who supported me through the whole thing. One of the reasons he broke up with the wench is because she crushed me- big time. He's my rock and I can't imagine my life without him anymore. He's on my mind 24/7 and I get butterflies in my stomach just thinking about him and God knows Nikki, I'd be lost without him."

It's my turn to cry and her turn to hug me comfortingly, "you two are insanely perfect for eachother."

"You've known me for less than twenty-four hours, what if I'm sort of a serial killer or something?" I chuckle.

She smiles broadly, "love, even if you are a serial killer, I'd push Tom to be apart of your murder sprees- you're that perfect."

I stare at my feet and giggle. I excuse myself to go to the bathroom and my whole insides turn giddy. I just had a breakthrough with my boyfriend's mother.

I turn the corner and almost run into someone. Tom leans against the wall between the lounge and the kitchen. I stumble into him and he steadies me with his arm as he smiles down at me.

"Were you eavesdropping?!" I shriek.

He raises an eyebrow, "you think about me 24/7? I give you butterflies?"

My cheeks burn up and I bite my lip.

"I'd be lost without you too, Rina," he rests his forehead against mine and laces my fingers with his.

"So, what are our plans for today?" I blush.

"Well I was planning on a romantic tour of London," he winks and then rolls his eyes, "then my mum insisted that we need to take my brothers with us."

"Hey, we're here for them, remember?" I raise my eyebrows, "we'll have our time."
He grins cheekily.

"Tom, can you please fetch your brothers? Food is ready," Nikki pops her head out from the doorway.

Tom, much to my dismay, breaks apart to go find his brothers. I walk into the dining room with my head held high, feeling giddy inside.