Part 32~ Thinking Out Loud

Tom and I lay in the grass and he has one arm wrapped around me. I teach him about constellations.

"See there? That one is the Big Dipper," I say while pointing at the stars.

"I see it!" he exclaims.

I roll my eyes, "about time, Holland."

"Shut up, I'm the one who found the heart," he retorts.

"That doesn't count as a proper constellation, it doesn't even look like a heart!" I groan and place my hands in my face, "you're a horrible student."

"Maybe you're just a horrible teacher," he responds and we both laugh.

I snuggle closer to him and he rests his head on mine.

"Do you want to dance?" he asks.

I lift my head off the ground and look at him, "dance?"

He smiles with his teeth and looks at me, "yeah. Dance."

"Well for starters, I can't dance if my life depended on it," I tell him, "and secondly, there's no music."

He shakes his head and bites his lip, "I can put on music from my phone. And maybe we're better off with me as the teacher and you as the student."

I roll my eyes and then groan, "no we can't, because our first dance needs to be to our song!"

He creases his eyebrows, "what do you mean our song?"

"You know, like our song!" I say and when he still looks at me confused, I continue, "I've always had this fantasy where my boyfriend and I have a song. So the song just happens to play right at the perfect, romantic time and BAM! That instantly becomes our song."

He beams when I say this and it's my turn to look confused, "what did I say?"

"Am I your boyfriend?" he grins.

Oh. I smile and lick my lips. The inside of me lights up and I look away from him, blushing.

"If you want to be," I say quietly.

He sits up and turns my head around to face him, "let's make this official. Rina, will you be my girlfriend?"

I blush scarlet and it's my turn to beam, "yes. Yes, yes, yes! A million times, yes!"

He crashes his lips onto mine and I fall back onto the grass. I tangle my fingers in his hair.
Then, in that moment, a car drives past blasting Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran. I pull away from the kiss, my eyes wide.

He chuckles in disbelief, "is that—"

"—our song!" I gasp.

Tom pulls out his phone and plays the song. He stands up and brushes the grass off from his pants.

He gives me his hand and I take it, getting up. I too, brush the grass off of my dress and I grin.

"Let me lead, okay?" he says and I nod.

I place my arms around his neck and he places his around my waist. He begins to take steps around and I follow. I look down at our feet and I step on his foot.

"I'm sorry!" I shriek.

He takes one hand from my waist and tilts my chin up to him with one finger, "it's okay. Don't look down. Look at me and trust me."

I smile at him and I get lost in his big brown eyes. His curls flop over his face and I let him lead. He places his hand on the small of my back and he drops me backwards. I laugh with joy and he pulls me back up. He releases one hand from my waist and I release one. Our hands and our eyes find their way to eachother.

The song passes and reaches the end. I rest my head on his chest as we continue to sway and he rests the side of his head on mine.

Everything is perfect. It's over-perfect if that's even possible!

The song finishes and we both collapse onto the grass again. 

I laugh in shock, "who knew I could actually enjoy dancing?"

"You did well!" Tom says.

I beam with pride.

A chill comes with the breeze and I wrap my arms around myself.

"Are you cold?" Tom asks.

I stammer, "no, it's okay, I—"

He doesn't let me finish and takes his coat off. He droops it over my shoulders and I cuddle in it. It smells like him. I never got any of this with Xavier and for once, I feel so... loved.

"We should get back, it's getting late," he says as he takes my hand again and we get back to the car.

As I sit in the passenger seat again, I rest my head on the window.

This was, without a doubt, the most perfect two hours of my life.