Part 50~ Welcome Home

Our Paris fantasy goes away quicker than it came, but when I step back through the doors to the airport, I'm back a woman with a promise ring. Not exactly an engagement ring, but a start to one nonetheless.

Tom and I enter hand in hand and I use my other one to shield me from the blinding flashes of the paparazzi. He instantly notices my unease and takes off his cap off of his head and plops it on mine. I smile up at him and laugh at his hair sticking out everywhere.

"Hat hair?" he moans, running an annoyed hand through it.

I nod, failing to conceal my snicker.

Now it's time to face our reality. 

Time to face Xavier and Winnie.

Tom has blocked her number ever since we went to Paris and I'm assuming she's seen the leaked photos of us together online.

I'm dead.

We slide into a cab and start to drive back to the apartment. I lean my head on Tom's shoulder, the jet-lag already hitting me. He kisses the top of my forehead and my insides light up with glee.
Then my phone rings, ruining the moment. When I read the screen, I gulp.

Lina.

"Who is it?" Tom mumbles, burying his head onto the top of mine.

I bite my lip, "Lina."

He sits straight up, "aren't you going to pick it up?"

I drum my fingers on my leg and stare down at the phone. It continues to vibrate menacingly. With each vibrate comes a wave of worry.

Tom sighs and places his hand on top of mine, "I know she hurt you. But she's pregnant, Rina and she's going through exactly what you went through. You unblocked her number for a reason and she hasn't called you yet, what if it's an emergency?"

He's right. He's absolutely right. I look up at him and can't help but think about how lucky I am to have him.

"I love you," I say.

He grins his goofy grin, "I love you too."

I exhale sharply and answer the call, holding my phone up to my ear.

"Lina? Is everything okay?" I ask.

"Corinna, oh thank god!" her voice is shaky and anxious.

My heart falls, "what's happening?"

"I think my water broke..." she howls in pain.

"What?!" I shriek, "where's Xavier?!"

I spit his name when I say it. I can't believe I can even say that pig's name out loud.

She whines, "I left him messages and he hasn't replied, but Corinna, it hurts so much!"

"Okay, it's okay. I'm right nearby. Stay put, I'll come to you," I hang up quickly and lean forward to the cab driver, "change of plans."

I give him Xavier's address and he does a u-turn.

"Why are we going there?" Tom asks, suddenly alarmed.

I give him a sad smile, "Lina's going into labor."

Tom raises his eyebrows, "and you're going to be there even if her baby daddy is your ex-boyfriend?"

"What can I do?" I shrug, "she was my friend once upon a time."

He wraps an arm around me, "you have a good heart, Rina."

"I learnt from you."

We arrive within a few minutes and I lean to the driver, "can you wait five minutes?"

He gestures with his hand to say sure, why not?

I smile gratefully and Tom and I jump out of the car and leap into the building. We take the elevator. It's so quiet and my heart beats so loudly, I wouldn't be surprised if Tom hears it. I think he does, because he laces his fingers through mine. I like it, it makes me feel a little more comfortable despite everything that's about to happen.

I look up at him, "when I take Lina in, can you call the police? Just in case... he comes?"

He smiles down, "anything that you need, love."

I exhale deeply as the elevator dings open. I run out and storm into the apartment. Lina is sitting on the couch, groaning in pain. Her baby bump is huge. I run over to her and her heavy breathing calms down.

"Corinna..." she moans.

I squeeze her arm reassuringly, "Lina, I'm here. I'm here, okay? But I need your help. The more you help me, the quicker we'll get there."

She nods desperately and I pull her up. Tom notices my struggle and comes from the other side.

"You're Tom Holland," she says shakily.

He chuckles, "yes, I am."

Her arm is draped over my shoulder and Tom and I use our hands to support her back. We hop back into the elevator and I slam the buttons, praying we'll get to the hospital quickly. Lina groans in pain. "Lina, stay strong. You can do it," I tell her, "take deep breaths."

She obeys and takes quick breaths and then again proceeds to groan. I look at Tom helplessly and there's a sad look in his eyes. I wish there's a way I can help her but at the moment, the only way is to get her into a goddamned hospital bed.

The elevator opens again and we hurry out of the building and out onto the busy streets. We shove past everybody and into the cab. Lina and I hop into the backseat and Tom, clearly uncomfortable, slides into the passenger seat.

Beads of sweat fall down Lina's head and she moans again. I give her my hand which she squeezes so much, I wince. "Lina, the hospital isn't far, you'll be fine," I say.

She looks at me and oh, if I could remove any memory other than breaking up with Tom, it would be this one. Pain, pain and more pain is all I can see in her green eyes. 

Pain.

Not just the obvious, physical pain, but other pain. The guilt and regret kind of pain.

"I'm so, so, sorry," she sobs.

I respond with a sad expression and tuck her hair behind her ears, "don't apologize. It's okay."

The rest of the car ride is filled with tension and silence, excluding the heavy breathing and squeals from Lina and me comforting her.

We arrive at the hospital and Tom pays the cab driver and then proceeds to help me help Lina. She does well, letting us be her crutches and we storm into the emergency room. We're instantly surrounded by nurses and doctors. I hold Lina's hand in mine the whole time. They put her in a wheelchair and push her through the doors. Our hands part and I let go of the breath I didn't even know I was holding.

Tom wraps me in a hug and I snuggle my head into his chest.

"That was scary," I whisper.

"Tell me about it."