Part 51~ It's A Boy

A while later, Tom and I are sitting in the waiting room. We're sitting on the seats and he's fallen asleep with his head on my shoulder- jet lag presumably. I rest my head on the top of his and sigh.

A few weeks ago, we were separated and I hit rock bottom. He was with his ex-girlfriend and I was alone with only one friend, dealing with a revelation of my own.

But here we are, weeks later, together and I have a promise ring from him. We're in love again. I'm so scared. I'm so scared of losing him again and hitting rock bottom again. I love him more than words can describe...

I readjust my position but he then sits up and stretches. I look at him in worry, "did I wake you?"

He presses his lips together tiredly, "not the re-positioning per say, but the racing of your heart, yes." I blush rapidly and he rests his and on mine, "what's on your mind, love?"

I smile sadly, "losing you."

He wraps his arm around me and it's my turn to rest my head on his shoulder. "Don't ever think about those kinds of things again, you hear me? I'm here now, you're here now and we're here together. I've promised you things I'd never promise anyone and I wouldn't have done that if I thought I'd lose you again."

I squeeze his hand and my insides light up. If Tom has faith, I have faith. Our love is too strong.The happy moment doesn't last long as a doctor comes from the behind the emergency doors. I immediately recognise him as one who took Lina. I stand up and walk over to him.

"Is Lina okay?" I ask quickly.

Tom appears by my side and takes my hand again. I don't realise how tense I am until he does this, allowing me to relax.

He grins genuinely, "she's given birth and the both of them are happy and healthy."

I sigh, relieved, "can I go see her?"

"She's in Room 705," he replies.

I thank him and Tom and I jog (well, I jog and he walks) down the hall and stop outside of Room 705. I hesitate and my hand hovers above the handle.

"I'll come with you," Tom whispers.

I beam, "thank you."

I push open the door and walk past a few women in bed with their newborn babies. It isn't until I get to the end of the room that I see Lina. But it's not just Lina I see.

She's holding a precious little baby that's her's. She looks so exhausted, it's satisfying to see her holding her newborn.

She looks up at me and laughs softly, "he's a boy."

"He's beautiful," I whisper.

She nods her head, gesturing for me to come over. I look up at Tom who gives me an encouraging squeeze of the arm. So I drop his hand and walk over to the two of them. I stare down at this new human who's part of our world now. Even if his father is horrific and his mother hurt me, he's a baby. He deserves the whole world right now.

"Do you have any names for him?" I ask, my voice light and airy.

She smiles down at him and then looks up at me, "I had many in mind, many eccentric names that would suit a baby for me. But only one name made sense."

I crease my forehead, "what's that?"

"Dean."

My jaw drops a little and my heart feels warm, "you're naming your son after... Dean?"

She exhales, "it feels right. It really does."

"I love it," I murmur and hold my hand to baby Dean's small cheek. He looks so happy and peaceful sleeping in his mother's arms.

Tom gestures towards the door, "I'm going to go and see if the cops are here."

He walks out and Lina looks at me in alarm, "cops? What for?!"

"Lina," I take a seat and pinch the bridge of my nose, "do you remember Dean's letter?"

She nods quickly.

"I read it," I say.

Her eyes widen, "what did it say?!"

I bite my lip. Here it goes. Again. The second person to know.

I sigh deeply as my eyes tear up, "Xavier... raped me."

Her jaw falls to her feet and her brow furrows in concern.

"I'm sorry, I know he's the father of your child. But he's a monster, Lina, and I don't want him to hurt Dean and hurt anyone else and—"

"—don't apologise," she interrupts, "I understand. It's better this way... for Dean. I'm sorry he did that, Corinna."

I grin like a Cheshire Cat, "it's Cori or Cor to you."

And her whole face twinkles with delight.

"I'll leave the two of you alone," I smile, stroking the top of Dean's head.

Lina nods and I walk towards the door but she stops me, "Cor?"

"Mm?" I turn back around.

"I'm so sorry. I really am," she frowns.

I wince. It's a sensitive topic, but we're human. We all make mistakes. I hurt Tom without meaning it and Lina hurt me unintentionally and she clearly regrets it.

I bite the insides of my cheeks, "you made a mistake and owned up to it. It's okay."

She lets go of the breath she was holding and I leave the room. It feels so much cooler out here so I cross my arms over my chest and huddle my whole body together.

But it isn't just because of the cool change in weather. No. It's worse. A sinking feeling in my gut tells me not to turn the corner, but I ignore it.

I turn the corner.

Someone stands there with their hands in their pockets, glaring.

Lo and behold...

It's Xavier.

"We need to talk."