Part 52~ Baby Daddy

I feel beads of sweat fall down the side of my head. Where's Tom? Where are the cops?! He's here. And there's no one else in this hallway.

"There's nothing to talk about," I hiss, anxiety clear in my voice. I try to walk past him to somewhere where there will be people, but he steps to the side, causing me to stumble backwards.

I sigh and speak through clenched teeth, "so talk."

He gulps, "Cor, I—"

"—it's Corinna," I snap.

He flinches. He actually flinches. Something changes in his eyes. From anger to... regret?

"I'm sorry," he mutters.

I raise my eyebrows. He's sorry? He's sorry?!

I clench my fists, "no you're not."

"I am. I genuinely am. I'm sorry."

"Sorry doesn't change the fact that you raped me. You nearly killed me. You hit me! You hit Lina even though she just gave birth to your son!" I growl.

His face lights up, "it's a boy?"

My jaw drops a little. He cares. He actually cares. His face is different. He doesn't look like a monster anymore.

"His name is Dean," I murmur.

He smiles sadly, "I like it."

I frown. What changed? Why is he being like this?!

"Xavier, what do you want?"

He inhales sharply, "I'm turning myself in."

My forehead creases and my heart rate accelerates. He's... turning himself in. "I just want to meet my son first," he looks down at his feet.

He raped me. He hit me. He hit Lina while she was pregnant. He nearly killed Tom and I. He's the reason we both went through heartbreak for months! But yet, I still pity him. He's going to go to jail. But...

"How do I know you're not lying?"

He smiles sadly. I've never seen him this... soft before. I know he isn't lying. I can see it in his eyes.

"The only way you'll find out is if you let me show you I'm not lying."
I let out a breath. I can't believe I'm doing this. I can't believe it.

"Room 705," I mumble.

He sighs gratefully, "thank you."

I watch him run off and I follow him at a distance. I want to stay as far away from him as possible, but I need to make sure he isn't going to hurt Dean or Lina.

I turn a corner and look outside of the small window leading into the room. I can see the three of them despite how far they are. Dean is still sleeping peacefully and Xavier is in awe.

He's actually happy. I've never seen this side to him before. Lina is very worried, her face is screaming it. She wraps her arms around Dean tighter and Xavier places his hand on the baby's head.

Tears well up in my eyes. They could've been a family. They could've been happy. If only he wasn't an idiot... and now Dean is going to grow up without a father. Even though I don't want him to, he has to. I can't let Xavier walk free no matter how guilty I'll feel.

I feel a presence next to me. Tom.

He wraps an arm around me, "the police are in the waiting room."

I don't respond and continue to stare into the room. His eyes follow to where I'm looking and his arm falls.

"He's here?!" he shouts.

I look up at him in alarm and place my hands on his arms, "just wait. It's okay."

His brown eyes widen, "I'll go get the police, Rina. I'll go now!"

"Tom," I say softly and he calms down a little, "he just wants to see his son. His son."

His muscles relax a little and I hug him.

"Thank you. So much. I don't know what I'd do without you here."

He responds the gesture and kisses my head, "I love you."

"I love you too," I say.

The door creaks open and I feel Tom go tense again. I hold one of his hands reassuringly and turn around.

"Thank you," Xavier murmurs, "and I'm sorry again."

I give a small smile and he walks off down the hallway towards the down stage of his life. I don't think he's changed. People don't change. They just get better at hiding who they are.

But I don't know how I did it. I don't know how I faced him after everything he did.
I did it.

"You did it," Tom whispers.

My brow furrows, "did I say that aloud?"

"No," he smiles, "but I can read you like a book, darling."