Chapter 20

As the next few weeks went on, I started feeling...better. Going to the Clearwater's helped distract me from the pain. It became a weekly thing. Sue and I would sometimes bake all afternoon and just talk about life. She's been a huge help for me and so has Seth. He is the little brother I never had. He always manages to put a smile on my face. 

"So here Harry was on the top of the cliffs and leapt off slamming onto the water and he didn't surface. Billy dives in and drags him from the water to shore and begins CPR. Harry finally comes around looks around, sees me and says 'Will you marry me?' and I was completely baffled. Turns out that was Billy and his attempt to be creative for a proposal" Sue said and I laughed as we sat on her couch with two mugs in our hands filled with hot chocolate. 

"One year later we were blessed with Leah" She said shrugging her shoulders and I smiled. "I wish my parents were like you and Harry" I said sadly and she sighed rubbing my shoulder. "I remember when they were young and had just met. Your mom was 21 and Charlie was 25 and they were in love so quick and after only a couple months they were engaged and married. Then you two came along. But sometime's people aren't meant to be together" Sue said and I nodded. 

"Yeah" I sighed and she gave me a small smile. "I miss your mom. She was the life of the party" Sue said and I giggled. "Still is today" I said and Sue nodded laughing. "How have you been feeling lately?" Sue asked gently and I sighed again. "I've been feeling better. Being here talking to you and being around Seth and Leah, it's just really helped distract me and keep my mind off things. Makes me feel somewhat normal again" I said and she smiled. 

"That's really good to hear Ell. You are welcome here anytime" She said and I smiled before leaning over and hugged her tightly. "Thank you for everything Sue" I said before pulling away. "I think those cupcakes are ready now" She said and I nodded before we placed our mugs down and headed into the kitchen were the smell of cakes wafted into our nose. 

Sue leaned down and opened the oven before pulling the vanilla cupcakes out. I grabbed the icing from the refrigerator and placed it on the counter. "Mind helping me with the dishes whilst these cool?" She said and I shook my head before walking over and beginning to help her with the dishes. "Your cooking is getting much better" Sue joked and I laughed. 

"I know but that's all with your help. Dad's been appreciating  coming home to a meal cooked" I said and Sue chuckled. "I know. He was telling me the other day when he was here" She replied. After we finished the dishes I turned and grabbed a spoon before beginning to ice the cupcakes. Sue came beside me with a spoon and began icing them too.

The front door opened and in walked Seth and Leah. Leah looked completely shattered as she walked upstairs and slammed her bedroom door. "What happened?" Sue asked looking at Seth. "We saw Sam and Emily at the store" He said and Sue sighed. "Sam?" I said confused. "Oh umm Sam was Leah's boyfriend of 2 years but they broke up a couple of months ago when he met their cousin Emily. Now they're engaged and Leah is still hurting"  Sue said glumly.

"I'm gonna go talk to her" I said before walking up the stairs to her room. I knocked on the door and heard her mumble come in before I opened the door and walked into her room to see her sitting on her bed hugging her pillow. "You ok?" I said sitting next to her and she shook her head. "To see him. Happy with her. And to think that could've been me" She whimpered and I wrapped her in a hug as she cried into my shoulder.

"I know what you feel" I said and she lifted her head. "At least Jasper is gone and you don't have to see him looking at someone the way he used to look at you" She replied and my heart clenched at the mention of his name. For the next 15 minutes I didn't say anything, all I did was hold Leah whilst she cried her pain away. 

After Leah started feeling better I left her room and walked back downstairs. "I'm going to head home. I'll see you guys soon" I said hugging the Clearwater's before exiting the house and getting into my truck. I pulled out of the driveway and began the drive home thinking about what Leah said. "At least Jasper is gone" echoed in my mind.

I sighed and leaned my head against the window as I continued the drive. After a few more minutes I had finally pulled into the driveway and climbed out of my truck locking it before walking inside. I closed the front door after walking in and walked uptown my bedroom closing the door behind me. 

I placed my bag on my desk and took off my coat leaving me in a band tee and jeans. I sat on my bed and ran my hands through my hair. I grabbed my phone from my back pocket and turned it on before going to my contacts. I clicked on Jaspers contact and saw all the messages I had left for him. 15 voicemails and 6 text messages. 

I turned my phone off and placed it on my bedside table. I stared at it for a few moments before slowly opening the drawer pulling out the picture of Jasper and I that Alice had taken on my birthday along with the necklace he had gotten me. I laid back onto my bed as I stared at it. Jasper had his arms around my waist smiling slightly as my hands rested on his chest as I looked up into his eyes with a smile on my lips. 

I traced over him lightly as I felt the tears sting my eyes. I sat back up before climbing out of my bed and walking over to my desk where I opened up my laptop and went to my emails. I saw that I had one new email and clicked on it. I didn't recognise the user name but saw it had been delivered a few weeks ago. 

I read the message and my heart stopped.

I'm sorry.