Chapter 40

"Hey guys" Sue said as she walked through the door. "Hey Sue" I said looking at her over the couch. "What are you guys watching?" she asked as she unpacked the groceries. "Saw" Seth said  not taking his eyes off the screen. "Oh I hate that movie" Sue said and I giggled. I got off the couch walking into the kitchen with Sue and helped her with the groceries.

"Thanks Ell" Sue said as I put the vegetables in the fridge. "No problem" I said with a warm smile. We finished putting the groceries away and I saw the time. "Oh shoot. I should head home now. I'll see you guys soon" I said hugging Sue and saying goodbye to Seth I walked out to my truck and climbed in before pulling out of the driveway.

I pulled up and saw Jake and Edward arguing with Bella in between them. I got out of the truck and ran over to them. "If you ever touch her against her will again!" Edward seethed. "She's not sure what she wants" Jacob said getting into his face. "Don't do this here!" Bella pleaded trying to push them apart. "Guys stop! Jacob leave!" I said trying to push Jacob away.

"Let me give you a clue. Wait for her to say the words" Edward said. "Fine! And she will" Jacob replied dryly. "Jacob just go ok?" Bella pleaded. "Hey, hey, hey easy guys. Easy. Lets take it down a notch alright?" Dad said pushing the two apart. "What's going on?" Dad said looking at the two.

"I kissed Bella. And she broke her hand punching my face. Total misunderstanding" Jacob said and I sighed. "I can take you to my house so Carlisle can take a look at your wrist" Edward said stiffly as he looked at Bella. "I'll see you later Bella" Jacob said before walking to his car, climbing in and driving away.

"I'll come" I said and Bella nodded. "We'll see you tonight dad" I said before climbing into Edward's Volvo. The drive to the Cullen's was awkward. "I'm sorry Edward" Bella said. "You have nothing to apologise for Bella" Edward replied in his usual tone. "Yeah Jacob was the one acting like an ass" I said looking out the window.

We finally arrived and I climbed out of the car and followed Edward inside. Edward spoke to Carlisle and he disappeared for a few moments before returning with some gauze. Carlisle gently examined Bella's wrist. "It's just a sprain. Should heal fairly quickly" Carlisle said as he wrapped Bella's wrist.

I heard footsteps and turned to see Jasper and Emmett. Jasper walked over to me and held my hand in his kissing my cheek. "Trying to walk and chew gum at the same time again Bella?" Emmett joked as he sat on the back of the couch and I giggled. "I punched a werewolf in the face" Bella said smugly.

"Badass. You two are going to be some tough little newborns" Emmett said and I smiled. "Tough enough to take you on" I replied and Rosalie threw the newspaper she was reading onto the coffee table before leaving the room walking outside to the balcony. "Don't worry about it" Emmett said looking at both of us.

"Got any leads?" Edward said to Jasper. "No sign of the intruder. But Victoria continues to make appearances" Jasper said as I walked towards the balcony door. I opened it stepping outside to see Rosalie looking into the woods. "Go blather to someone else about the joys of becoming a new born" She said not looking at me.

"I was just joking around with Emmett" I said approaching her. "Rosalie, I don't understand why you don't like me or Bella. It's like you hate us" I said shaking my head slightly. "Hate? I don't hate you or your sister Elise. I don't particularly like Bella but you I can tolerate" She said and I gave a small chuckle. "Elise, I envy you" Rosalie said and I raised my eyebrows in shock.

"What? That's ridiculous. Why would you envy me?" I said confused. "You have a choice. I didn't. None of us did but you do and you're choosing wrong. I don't care how miserable your human life is" She said looking at me. "My life isn't miserable. I know that. It's not perfect either though. Growing up with separated parents. Not knowing who's house I was going to spend Christmas at. The only stable person I have in my life is Bella because I know she is always going to be here by my side. Nobody's life is perfect" I said as I stood beside her looking out at the woods.

"Mine was. Absolutely perfect" (WATCH VIDEO). "Things got better after I found Emmett. But we'll always be this. Frozen. Never moving forward. That's what I miss the most. Possibilities. Sitting on a front porch somewhere, Emmett grey-haired by my side. Surrounded by our grandchildren. Their laughter" Rosalie said and I sighed.

"I've always wanted kids. One boy and one girl. I even had their names picked out. Avery for a girl and Jordan for a boy. When I was 13, the doctors found a huge lump in my left ovary. They thought it was cancerous and if it wasn't it would still be better to get it removed because it could've caused health problems later on down the road so I got it removed leaving me with one ovary. What makes this situation worse is I had half the amount of normal eggs found in women so the doctors said my chances of having kids where slim" I said as I felt the tears sting my eyes.

"I'm sorry. That must've been awful" Rosalie said looking at me. "Not being able to have kids is one reason why the choice of being a vampire is easy for me. Jasper is my soulmate. I've already experienced what life would be without him and it's hell. To be with Jasper is all I want for eternity" I said and Rosalie let out a dry chuckle.

"After you've been changed, theres one thing you'll want more. One thing you'd kill for. Blood" She said before walking back inside. I followed behind her and walked over to Jasper who was watching TV with Emmett. "You ok my love?" He asked and I nodded. "I'm fine" I said giving him a reassuring smile.